Three Nights

It was a dark night on Earth’s surface the moon was bright yellow casting an eerie glow over the murky sands.  A lone figure stood silhouetted against the desert floor. It was cool out, yet this woman wore nothing but a light silk dress.  She was in every way a picture of beauty, her silver hair shimmered in the moonlight, her hazel eyes glinted like the brightest star in the sky, her skin was a milky tan, and her ruby lips quivered gently. Yet the woman’s perfect picture was shattered by soft sobs.

            This was the way the man found her. “Whatever is the matter my dear?” He asked as he walked up. His footsteps ruffled the sand.

            She sniffed and wiped a few tears away, smudging her Kohl. Sheattempted to regain composer, but the slightest thought of her predicament sent her sailing into tears again. She managed to choke out, “n-nothing.” But her voice was cracked and sobs still stole her breath. She could fool no one.

            “If you do not wish to tell me that is your choice.” The man began to walk off.

            But a gentle “wait” made him stop in his tracks. “You might be able to help me.”

            He turned back to the kneeling woman and sat beside her. “My ears are open,” he told her.

            “It’s my h-husband.” She started.

            The man gasped. “What did he do to you?”

            She smiled a bit at his misunderstanding, but the smile was quickly wiped off her face. “Not me, he… he plans to trap his brother in a coffin, a-and hide the coffin away where no one will find it. Then he plans to take over the throne.”

            The man frowned at this, but then changed it to a smile after only a few seconds of thought. “Why that is easily solved my dear, just warn your brother-in-law about your husband’s plan.”

            “But that’s just it,” she sobbed, “My husband will hate me forever if I do so, he might even banish me.”

            “But you know what the right thing to do is.”

            She nodded but said nothing.

            He stood up to leave, “Goodnight my dear.” And he walked out into the night.

            It was almost a week since their last meeting when the man found her on his rooftop. Closing the door behind him, he spoke. “Did you do the right thing?”

            “Yes.”

            He smiled.

            “And no.”

            He frowned. “Well which is it then?” he asked as he joined her by the roof’s ledge.

            “I couldn’t stand the thought of my husband -the man that I married, the man that I love- not loving me back. So I took too long debating over what to do. I didn’t warn him.” Her voice was silky and smooth without her weeping interrupting it.

            “So he’s gone. Has your husband token the throne as well?”

            “No, first he must be rid of the child.”

            “Child?”

            “Yes,” she replied, “My brother is destined to have a child soon. An heir to the throne.”

            “Oh. Wait... But you told me that you also did the right thing.”

            “I protected the mother from my husband’s wrath.”

            He smiled. “Well then, that problem is solved. The child will be born and take the throne with his mother by his side for guidance.”

            “She is not pregnant yet.”

            “Oh.”

            “But I know where to find the coffin.”

            “Oh?”

            “But I’m already on my husband’s bad side and saving his brother will only make it worse.”

            The man pondered over this for a while. Then, turning away from the moon, he faced the woman. “Give the location to the wife. Then she can save him and your husband will never have to know who tipped her off.”

            She grinned. “That’s an amazing idea; I don’t know why I didn’t think of it. Thanks.”

            “Glad that’s settled. See you around, Your Highness.” He turned to stroll toward the door. When he turned back the lady was gone.

            “I would like to thank you for helping me.” The lady said one night while he was closing up shop.

            “I take it all went well then?” He said.

            She looked amused. “Oh, no, no, no. My husband chopped his brother into tiny bits and scattered them all across Egypt.”

            He raised an eyebrow at this. “So then why are you so happy?”

            “Because I finally know where my priorities lay. I know what’s right and what’s wrong. And I know that no love should be given to someone who doesn’t deserve it. All thanks to you.”

            He blushed, “Well, I’m flattered miss but what will you do about the dead king?”

            “Well, we’ll look for the remains and until then his son can take the throne, and when he grows up he will be able to avenge his father,” she explained.

            “So she did get impregnated before he was killed.”

            “Yes, and she wouldn’t have be able to without the information of his whereabouts. And she wouldn’t have gotten that information without me. And I wouldn’t have told her without your convincing and quick thinking. You’re a wise man, it's a wonder your not- what’s your name?"

            “Could I know yours first madam?”

            “I asked first,” she argued.

            “I’m the male,” he retorted.

            “I’m the Goddess!” She screamed like a seven-year-old girl.

            He smirked, “So, my suspicions are correct. Very well Nephthys, you may call me Kane, Nahab Kane.”

            Nephthys smiled back. “Very well Kane, for your help and support in this affair I will grant you a seat on the throne of Upper Egypt.”

            He looked stunned and took a while to regain himself, but when he did he was quick to accept the offer.

            And this is where Nephthys and Nahab Kane said their goodbyes for what they thought to be the last time.