Chapter 0 | Idiot

The Kingdom of Beisatz, a glorious land that prospered for many generations under the rule of its first king: Fortun Beisatz. A man who began his legacy as a wandering mercenary ascending to the status of royalty was a feat like no other. Of course, he did not achieve such a feat alone. 

Originally a solitary warrior, he had gained many followers and many retainers as his legend spanned the continents. From toppling a fortress as a single individual to being part of the first group to fend off a dragon, there were many who wanted to follow in his footsteps. However, there was an exception, that exception being Fortun's first retainer and his most trusted.

Versci Greywalk, a mage who wanted nothing more than to pursue knowledge of magic from the moment he saw the spectacle of a mage creating fire in his palms. A stubborn fellow who would much prefer surrounding himself in piles of books and ancient scriptures, many had wondered how did Fortun gain such an introverted person as an ally.

But the number of people who were interested in the personal relationship between king and retainer were few, as the general public were more fascinated by their feats in battle.

Fortun Beisatz was not just any king. His proficiency in combat and the fact he had never lost a battle once had gained him the title of 'Indomitable Warrior King'. He was praised as a legend for good reason, as he defied overwhelming odds many a time. 

The only person who could ever have a chance of stripping him of his undefeated status weren't remarkable warriors from other kingdoms or empires, but instead his first retainer. To call Versci talented was lacking, he was nothing short of a prodigy. He was the first mage to go past the limits of conventional magic and ascend beyond the Circle Tier System. Unparalleled in the realm of magic, he gained the title of 'Supreme Magus'.

These two were the legends that carved a path for a kingdom's founding as well as its prosperity for generations to come. But even legends die at some point.

Having obtained knowledge of magic that reached into the realm of gods, Versci was satisfied with his journey up to that point. Unlike other elderly mages, he did not want an immortal body to continue his pursuit of a higher realm. Was this arrogance? No, it was confidence that there was no realm of magic higher than the magic of the gods. He let himself be taken by old age much like a common man. Not many knew this fact however.

As he approached his deathbed, Fortun came to Versci not as a king, but as a friend. Fortun had a premonition of the future days before, that one day the Beisatz Kingdom would be trampled upon as it grew weaker with each generation. He approached his best friend and asked him for a promise.

"There will come a time when you are brought back to this world. If the kingdom we shed blood and tears to raise lay in ruins before you, bring the same ruin to the ones who caused it."

Versci thought it foolish. Fortun had many premonitions about the future before, but this was just outlandish. Nevertheless, he agreed to make such a promise. If he disagreed, Fortun would have shown a stubbornness that'd make him submit eventually.

The mage was entombed in the royal family's catacombs. This was how much Fortun had valued his first companion, it would not be half a decade later that Fortun would be entombed right next to him. 

New generations would come as the kingdom crowned new kings, the original ideal of Fortun was to 'make a world where everyone could walk a path of glory and fortune.' was passed on to each king. However, the ideal was interpreted differently by his descendants, who did not possess the life experience of being a solitary warrior. 

Now, we come to the present time, where three people wearing dark hoods were traversing forgotten ruins.

"Are you sure this is the place?" A woman with a soft tone asked.

"I am certain of it. Even if this place has eroded over time, the main structure is still intact." She was responded to by an elderly male, who had a haggard appearance.

"So, the fruits of our labour will finally show?" A man whose body could be mistaken for an orc's puffed up his chest as he asked.

The ruins they were in looked to be decades, perhaps centuries old. Yet there were no signs of them having ever been explored by anyone else before until this group came along. But, these three were not adventurers seeking loot from a bygone era.

They reached a large hall after a long walk, where several tombs were laid before them. Ignoring every single one, the three approached a pair of tombs situated right next to one another. They had found their objective.

"Set up the circle, I will begin the ritual." The elder ordered his two members as he took out a satchel from his side. Loosening the string, he pulled out a blue orb as big as his palm. 

The magic circle done by the two surrounded the tomb to the right only. Once it was complete, the elder held the blue orb above the tomb's lid as he began chanting. The other two followed suit and repeated his words.

「With this vessel, let your soul be bound to the mortal plane once more.」

The magic circle around the tomb began the glow, emanating a bright light in these dark ruins.

「Heed the call of your resentment, heed the rage of a life unfulfilled.」

The blue orb in the elder's hand began glowing as well, as mana from the three were being drained by it as the chant continued.

「Return to this world as one of the damned and obey our will!」

As that verse was said, the elder brought down the glowing orb against the lid as it phased through and left his grasp.

[Raise Undead!]

The ritual was complete without a hitch, now all they could do was wait for results. 

These results showed themselves immediately as the ground quaked.

A dazzling blue light was seeping through the cracks of the tomb's lid, an intense pressure flowing out threatening to collapse the structure followed suit. But these three necromancers remained steadfast, for their greatest achievement was about to come to life.

With a resounding 'BOOM!', the lid of the tomb was blown off, crashing into another one and destroying it. The three necromancers couldn't withstand the force displayed, causing them to stumble and fall onto their behinds. 

A literally chilling figure rose, sitting upright as it took in its surroundings. With a raspy voice, the newly raised undead spoke.

"I can't believe it."

The elder was impressed, he did not expect that the soul was still strong enough to maintain its own conscience and speak properly. But none of that mattered, for undead raised through necromancy were obedient to their masters.

"Listen well, from now on we are your masters. You shall lend us your power and bring the world to their knees for us."

It was the beginning of a new era, one that would be dominated by three necromancers who had successfully raised a Lich from the grave. With expectant gazes, they eagerly awaited the undead's vow of loyalty.

"I can't believe that idiot's prediction actually came true."

"Eh?"

The Lich raised was none other than Versci Greywalk, 'Supreme Magus' and currently the most dumbfounded person in this place.