Chapter 24: Brother

~ Stefan's Pov ~

I load Liz's suitcase into the trunk of her car while she says her last goodbyes to Caroline. This morning has been filled with tearful goodbyes between Caroline and Liz, since breakfast Caroline has not left her side; it's a good thing she packed her things last night. "You call me the minute you go into labor and I'll be on the next flight here."

"I promise Mom, I'll call you right away." They hug each other as Caroline cries again. Klaus walks over and offers me his hand.

"We'll be seeing you soon then Rippa." I shake his hand and laugh at the nickname, no matter how much I ask he just won't drop it. To him it's a fond nickname he gave his best friend in the 20s, since he gave me those memories back and I've had time to get to know the real him again; I'm less annoyed by the name. 

"I'll be back in a month, once I can get everything together and everyone off my back." He smiles at me then looks over at Caroline and Liz. When he looks at Caroline there is nothing but love in his eyes, I've been watching them when they're together and if I didn't know them I would think they had been together for years. Their souls are intertwined, its as if they were made for each other.  

"Well we'll have your room ready when you arrive, I'll get one of my Hybrids to collect your things before you leave." He turns back to me. 

"Thanks Klaus, I appreciate it." We hug. 

"Stefan Salvatore!" Caroline is suddenly in front of us, pulling us apart. "You were not about to leave without saying goodbye to me were you?"

"Never." I mock hurt, placing my hand on my heart. 

"Good." She pulls me into a crushing embrace. "Ugh I'm going to miss youuu!"

"Care, I'm only going to be gone for a month."

"Still, I'm gonna miss you."

"I'm gonna miss you too Care." She squeezes me harder. "Uh, Care? I have to drive your mom home. And the longer I'm here the longer it's going to take for me to come back." She reluctantly releases me. 

"Fine." She kisses my cheek and sends me on my way. I get into the drivers seat and start the car, Liz gets into the passenger seat and buckles in. We look out the window and wave to Klaus and Caroline as I start to drive away.

"How long do you think it'll take us this time?" Liz asks.

"Do I have to stick to the speed limit?" She raises her eyebrow at me. "Ugh okay, if we're driving the speed limit at 9 am on a week day, we'll be lucky to make it in 8 hours, that's excluding the world's longest driveway."She laughs.

"And if we don't stick to the speed limit?" 

"I can get us home in 7." She contemplates for a moment then nods.

"Punch it."

~ Caroline's Pov ~ 

I'm lying on the couch ignoring the tv show Klaus and Elijah are watching, I can't take my eyes off my bump, our perfect little miracle. Klaus' hand rarely moves from my stomach when we're together and tonight's no different, my hand rests atop his as I stare at our little miracle. It's hard to think about where I was before now, I hate myself for the way I acted towards Klaus; how I just went along with Elena and agreed to hurt him. I don't know how he kept loving me through all of that, how he's forgiven me...I certainly don't deserve it. "What are you thinking about?" Klaus' voice breaks me from my thoughts. Elijah has left the room and it's just Klaus and I now. 

"Nothing, just." I sit up and rest my hand against his cheek. "Just thinking of how lucky I am, and how much I love you. I really don't deserve you." His eyebrows furrow and he shakes his head.