How Can I Keep Dancing? ~~~ Chapter 4 ~~~

I've been in writers block for the last couple of months, and I've been doing a heck of a lot of research. I'm so excited for this story :D

Enjoy! And don't forget to comment and vote!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CHAPTER FOUR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Relax your shoulders! Tuck in your bottom! Do you really think that audiences appreciate seeing a large underside from a dancer?”

Miss Dawn’s voice echoes in the dancing hall as I try to ignore her whining, and perfect my poise. After a few moments she is silent, letting me glide through the practices and lessons with genuine pain and without relaxation. Points were painful for the most part when you first begin to wear them, but now, you become accustomed to them, either being used to the pain or your feet have genuinely changed their shape to fit the shoe perfectly.

My instructor had told me of her new production of Swan Lake which is due to be released towards the end of the summer, and she wishes me to portray the leading lady, Odette. At first I was thrilled, knowing that my mother would be proud of me for once, and then I realized that I was going to need more practice than I already had.

“It will be performed in less than twelve weeks! We need to cancel your daily lessons for practice for this production,” Miss Dawn explains exasperatedly. “I should like you to come in tomorrow for you to meet the chorus and your co-dancers.”

I nod, knowing that talking back will do me no good.

I leave the dance hall after that, spotting Henry, our driver, in his usual spot across the road, and begin to walk towards him. I’d not taken two steps before Elijah intercepts my path making me stop where I am.

“Hello, Ducky.”

The past week since our ‘date’ had sped by quickly and I was surprised it had taken him this long to find me again.

I laugh despite myself, the sweat beading up on my forehead and soaking my sandy blonde hair that had been pulled back into a tight bun. “You sure know how to stalk someone.”

“Maybe you’re just irresistible.” He grins. His eyes like oceans pierce into my chocolate eyes, and I can’t help but scold myself for catching my breath.

Instead, I give him my devil-may-care look, “Maybe I am,” and then I give him a soft smile. “But boy, can you pick the best times for finding me. Almost each time I’ve been at my worst for looks.”

“On the contrary, I find you quite attractive in any light.” Despite his teasing, a hint of affection flashes in his eyes.

“I can’t help but disagree. And by the way, those outstanding manners you are trying to uphold never suit your easy-going face value, and I can hardly seem to take them seriously.”

“I don’t know whether to be complimented or hurt by your words.”

I laugh. “You should never be something you’re not.”

He gives me a thoughtful look and smiles as well. “You’re right. It can’t be healthy to ones wellbeing.”

My smile grows faintly.

We both stand in silence again, but neither one of us seems uncomfortable by it. Both of us at ease in our own fondness.

“Do you want to go out tonight?” Elijah finally asks.

“Oh, so that’s the reason you so rudely stopped me.” I tease.

“Do I always have to have some ulterior motive just to see you?”