Chapter 2

School went by as a blur as Clara was doing everything in her power to make sure she did not mess up the spell. Her and every girl in class was staring at Shawn. Ms. Fiss has trouble keeping them all paying attention while all the girls were focused on Shawn. Clara could care less. She was repeating the charm over and over again to get it perfect:

'I love you

and you love me.

Marry us two

and forever we'll be.'

She was completely ready picturing on how successful her plan would be.

Following him home through the busy streets of Intersect, past the Wand shop to stop at the Potions. Giving her enough time to prepare herself behind the garbage cans across the alley. Planning out their future together, forever.

But the fates had something else planned for her as they knew she would never be happy with Shawn Piny. No, instead the person more fit for her was someone tough and understanding for her childish and shy ways and unfortunate clumsy ways. Someone like... Jacob Worrick to fly in town at the exact moment Clara fires up her magic love ball to through at Shawn in the doorway. For Shawn to duck and have the love charm bounce off the glass showcase to hit Jacob square in the heart. Throughing off his flight pattern when he lands at the minds.

**********

Jacob had no idea what happened to have him land at the mines. A charm must have hit him, but why? He has no enemies in this small town, he doesn't really know anyone here. He did count himself lucky that nothing severe was damaged during the fall. Apparently, he had landed in left over nails that had not been used.

As he was doing a feel check of all possible injuries and internal damage. There! Just at the edge of the trees, was a small life force across from where he was. Not making an effort to get up, he waved for the small thing to come forward. It was a small, red-haired girl. As she got closer, her features became more visible. Her skin was clear of any marks, the sun glimmering off her silver streaks in her hair, and those red eyes were teary.

"What is wrong little one?"

Clara was surprised by this dark figure's kindness about worrying of her feelings. His features so sharp and buff, perfect for the high ranking militia. His black-shoulder length hair that looked almost blue. And just as she stopped before him her, head bowed and hands clasped behind her back, she glimpsed his eyes. They were a dazzling crystal blue that flamed of sorrow and untrusting.

"What is your name?" his warm, soft voice asked.

"Papa says I'm not supposed to talk to strangers." A scared shy character, knowing how to make others aware.

But he just gives a generous smile. "I am Jacob Worreck. Right hand of the King of Elon."

Her face froze, those eyes becoming huge. Clara brakes down in sobs at his feet. "I'm sorry! I....I didn't know. I....I was trying to... but he duckd..... and it hit you and..... and I'm sorry!"

Jacob watched the poor thing sob her heart out. He listened to her ramble on and was able to piece together her on how she hit him with a spell on accident. He pulled her in close and cuddled her, rocking, trying to get her to calm down. "Now, calmly tell me what happened."

She hiccupped and brushed back her tears. "Well, I was trying to cast this love charm on Shawn, which is also a 'marry' spell, but he ducked and it bounced off something and hit you." She was close to crying again.

His whole body went still. Love? This little lamb? This cant be. He can't marry a child, even though age didn't matter to his kind. Choosing the age or not for however long they wanted time. But the fates could not be so cruel as to sill this young girl's youth so quickly.

Jacob had been quite for so long it started to scare Clara more and more until the fear she annoyed him made her cry again. "Shh, little one. Will you please tell me your name."

"Cla-Clara. Am I in trouble?"

She sounded so scared he wondered if he looked that intimidating. "No, it was a pure accident. None of it is your fault." He took a pause to gauge her expressions. "Clara? What a beautiful name. Who gave it to you?"

"Papa named me that after my dead mother."

A pang of guilt hit him for bringing up such a tender subject. "Well, she must have been a gorgeous woman like you to deserve such a name."

The little thing beamed at him. He set her on her feet, he began to stand and stretch all the kinks he had gotten from his fall."Miss Clara, would such a lovely lady such as yourself mind escorting me to town?" he said making a sweeping bow.

She giggled, making a curtsy. "I would be delighted."

**********

As they entered town, they made a huge spectical: Clara being escorted by a royal official while she giggled at the praise he was giving her. He himself was surprised that he felt so relaxed with her. What was it about this child? At the welcome sign stood a man in a suite with a top hat and is a bit chubby. This must be his greeting, one lone man for a goverment official. The man came to attention, "Hello, I'm the mayor. Mayor Max

Great. "Good evening. I am Jacob Worreck, right hand of the King of Elon. I am very charmed to have this lovely young lady to accompany here." He looked down to Clara.

She put her hand to her mouth to stifle more of those adorable giggles. The mayor was gawking at the two. He coughed to mask his rude display of gawking. "Sir, if you will accompany me, I shall show you the place you'll be staying."

Jacob turned to the obnoxious chubby man. "I would like to escort Clara home before I indulge in serious matters."

The mayor coward before this intimidating gorilla. "Yes, of course."