Chapter Two

Three days was all the time it took for Kaius to convince Brandy Maldonado that the world of magic actually existed, thriving in secret for so long. Three more days of convincing to get Brandy to believe that she, herself, possessed magic, a very strong form of magic at that. Brandy was a Wizard.

"Take a deep breath," Kaius instructed. "Draw in the heat around you, within you, to your hand. Like we did before."

Brandy screamed, pulling herself away from Kaius' hold. Kaius' eyes flashed open to see her Apprentice cupping her hand, tears in the corners of her eyes.

"Burn yourself again?" she asked, though she could see the answer. Brandy's hand was inflamed and red, oozing some liquid in a natural response to the injury.

"This is never going to work!" Brandy complained.

"Give me your hand," the Wizard instructed.

Brandy placed her hand, palm up, in Kaius'. Kaius put her free hand on top of Brandy's, applying slight pressure.

The young woman screamed again, jerking her hand back. "What the hell!?" she shouted.

Kaius was confused, her brows furrowed. "What?"

"That hurt!"

"Hurt...?" Kaius looked down at her own hand. She flexed, curled, and uncurled her fingers. "Go put you hand in some ice for twenty minutes. Our magic is being blocked now. I can't help your injury."

"Blocked? Blocked how?" There was a hint of panic in Brandy's voice. "You said not all magic is good.... Is this not good?"

"We're within the two-mile radius of a Negative. Did I tell you to worry?" Brandy shook her head. "Then don't worry."

The Wizardling left to the kitchen to get the bucket of ice. Kaius moved to the window and gazed outside. Across the street, exiting from a taxi, she could see the Negative, his hand laced with a woman's. His brown hair was flat against his head and his green eyes looked up and directly at Kaius.

The Negative turned his attention to the woman at his side, her thick brown air fell to her shoulders and her brown eyes watched their surroundings cautiously.

"What's a Negative?" Brandy asked upon returning.

"They cancel out, completely, all magic within two miles of themselves. They're also handy when dealing with a Dream Walker."

"Dream Walker?"

"I'll tell you about them another time. We have guests."

No sooner did Kaius finish her sentence was there a knock at the door. Brandy gave Kaius a look that spoke of her awe. Kaius simply shrugged.

"Come in," the Wizard spoke.

The door opened to reveal the woman and the Negative, hand in hand. They eyed Brandy wearily.

"Welcome to my humble abode, Mark, Hatsuharu." Both guests turned their attention to Kaius. "This is my Apprentice, Brandy Maldonado. Brandy, this is Mark Herrera, a Negative, and his girlfriend, Hatsuharu Primrose, a Star Walker."

Hatsuharu's brown eyes began to glow a strange blue.