Chapter 1

Father left with his Royal Guard on another conquer.

I've always hated that, I hate the idea that people have to die, for people to lose their homes, livelihoods due to Father wanting their land. Wait no, hate is a bad word, bad word. If Father heard my thoughts he would punish me! I shook my head to my self, knocking the bad word out.

I also didnt like Father's conquers because it left the palace quiet.

Too quiet.

Mother died a few years ago when I was young so I have no memory of her, but as of last year Father remarried a new, young woman. She is absolutely beautiful, fair skin, tall, curvy, not an imperfection in sight. To the people of the kingdom she was kind, to the palace staff she was intelligent, to Father she was loving, but to me.... I dont know, she doesnt seem to like me very much.
She ignores me when I do my morning greetings, she refuses my gifts, and always tells Father that I'm rude and need punishment. And when I tell Father otherwise, he brushes it off!
Now these days, I spend my time cooped up in my room, unwilling to go out because I dont want to have any reason for Father's wife to lie about me.

The usual maids and servants walked through my room, cleaning, setting food, checking me, repeat. I've memorized the schedule by now so when one maid came in without knocking I didnt flinch nor jump. I think the maids are starting to dislike me too, since I dont go down to help cook and clean anymore, at least that's what I think, they dont speak when they come in, even when I greet them.

It was 6:30 p.m. by now, the summer Sun still shined bright in the sky by now and the second to last maid's shift was coming up. I sat by the window and watched the free birds twirl and fly in the sky, the guards marching across the lawn, the trees flowing in the wind. It seemed everyone had a purpose....

A knock came at the door then the door opened, then the door closed. The maids never close the door behind themselves, I turned to see a burly man standing there, in the middle of my room with hunting gear, sword and gun in pocket.
"Good day princess." He bowed to me, I nodded back, keeping my face straight, my expression calm. But inside I was freaking out, that sword looked so sharp, that gun shined threateningly, I gulped.

"What brings you here?"

"The princess seemed lonely so I thought you could accompany me on my hunt." He said matter of factly, but his face reflected empathy.

"I dont think so."

"If it's the weapons you're afraid of I wont be using them, at least when your looking." I didnt want to argue anymore or else he may tell Father's wife, so I got up from my spot, grabbed a cloak and left with him for the woods.

It was quite dim by the time we got to the woods, insects marched the damp grounds, rabbit and other critters watched the huntsman and I closely, jumping from bush to bush. The forest held a strange beauty to it, the greenery, animals, sounds, sights, smells were all captivating, this is a world I have only dreamed about exploring and here it is! More than I imagined...

I hit something, hard, I stumbled back holding my forehead. I realized I had only bumped into the huntsman who had stopped. He was 10 times taller and wider, and stronger than me, so when I bumped him it felt like I went head first into a boulder.
The huntsman looked around for a second, scanning the area before turning to me with a stern face.
"I want you to stand here and wait, dont wander off princess." With that he marched into the trees, leaving me alone. A few seconds passed, a few minutes. The night was getting darker and the sounds and sights I had admired were becoming eery and frightening. It became hard to see, I would flinch at a skitter or tweet. I crouched down in fear when a bush near me rustled. I closed my eyes to tightly.

Dont move.

Dont move I told myself, I wanted to run, to scream, to go back home! But i dont know they way home.

Bang!

A gun shot rang out through the forest I jumped as a deer emerged from the shrubbery and just as it got close it was struck with the bullet, blood splattered on my face as it fell in front of me, bleating and shaking.
My eyes widened in terror, my hands shook as I brought my hands to my face and touched the sickening red, scarlet that dripped from it.

I became light headed, dizzy, the last thing I remember was falling shoulder first on the damp forest floor.