Chapter 5: Admitting Defeat

Aztec woke up the next morning feeling worse than ever. Along with his head and throat hurting, his nose was stuffy. Each breath he took was agonizing. He felt cold and was so painful all over. However, he still was determined to make it through the competition, even if it killed him. Tomorrow, they would all be heading to Oak Haven Stables, where the Junior National Jumping Championship will be held the next day. This was what he and Bailey have been preparing for ever since they had learned to jump together, and he wasn't going to let some flu bug ruin it!

He forced himself to eat his breakfast, then Chloe and Zoey turned all of the horses out to pasture. Chloe was leading Aztec out of the stables, Zoey right behind her with Scarlet. Aztec did everything in his power to make himself appear to be normal, but he was slow moving and dripping with sweat. 

"C'mon Aztec!" Chloe pulled on the lead rope, "Get a move on!"

Aztec forced himself to keep going, and Chloe noticed how much he was sweating.

"That is so weird!" Chloe said to her sister, "Do you think there's something wrong with him?"

Zoey shrugged,

"Probably just the heat. I'm dreading what it's going to be like at the Championship! All those bodies everywhere, gross!"

"Sometimes fame and fortune come with a price," Chloe replied, "Ugh, I'd kill for a cold lemonade right now!"

"You said it sis!" Zoey agreed.

Scarlet tossed her head and whinnied, trying to tell them that Aztec was in trouble.

"Easy, girl!" Zoey said as she unclipped Scarlet's lead. 

"I wonder if they have those little umbrellas left-"

Chloe and Zoey's voices trailed off as they walked towards the house.

...................................................

The horses were only in the pasture for a couple of hours. Aztec's attempts to make his breathing sound normal were failing miserably. 

Scarlet, Chili, Button, and Calypso couldn't take it any longer. They couldn't let their friend continue to suffer like this.

"Aztec, you got to stop this act!" Scarlet shouted tearfully, "You're going to kill yourself! Just admit that you need help!"

"I'm not-- admitting-- to anything--" Aztec wheezed, then put on a grin, "I'm just-- out of shape that's all! I just need-- a good lap around the pasture-- make my airways open a bit-- I'll be fine."

"Aztec, no!-" Chili tried to stop him, but Aztec began to trot off, leaving his worried friends behind.

...................................................

Aztec was almost finished with his lap until he suddenly felt dizzy, but approached his friends and smiled proudly.

"See? I told you, I'm-"

Suddenly, his throat started to seize. He struggled to draw a breath, but the dizziness took over, causing Aztec to collapse onto the grass. 

"AZTEC!!" Scarlet cried.

Aztec wheezed and coughed, gasping for air. He looked at his friends staring at him. He had realized now that enough was enough. He finally admitted defeat. Struggling to speak, he managed to force out:

"help--"

...............................................

Shep was just walking by the pasture when he heard Chili's cry for help. He turned his head to face the horses.

"Shep!" Chili shouted, "Get help, quick! Aztec can't breathe! He's down! Hurry!"

Without a moment's hesitation, Shep sprinted towards the house, barking frantically. 

Shep approach the house, barking and scratching at the door. A couple of moments passed until Bailey's dad had emerged from the house. 

"What is it, Shep?" he asked.

Shep continued to bark and jump in the air.

"Alright boy, let's go."

Shep then took off towards the direction of the pasture, with Bailey's dad close behind.

..................................................

Calypso watched as Shep and Bailey's dad were approaching the gate. She the turned her head to Aztec, who was lying there forcing every breath.

"Don't worry, Aztec," Calypso soothed, "Help is coming."

Aztec felt a wave of relief as he heard Calypso's voice, but no matter how much he fought, he could no longer take in air. Everything started to blur as his eyes rolled back into his head, and everything went black.

R&R