{CHAPTER 9}

°

°

THE KING'S ORDERS TO KEEP THE KINGDOM CLOSED HAD SPREAD FAST AND RHANEYRA HAD BEEN STOPPED BY A PAIR OF GUARDS WHEN SHE TRIED TO LEAVE. The elves who tried to stop her from leaving Mirkwood wore harsh faces but after Rhaenyra let out a venomous hiss and a curse in High Valyrian their bravado faltered but their loyalty to their King remained strong enough for them to continue to deny her. The gates remained closed and were not going to be opened any time soon. Thinking back Rhaenyra could have used Narya to help her, to intimidate the guards so they would let her pass, but decided against in the last minute minute, knowing that she didn't yet know how to fully control Narya's different powers and wouldn't like to accidentally destroy parts of the palace and forest. 

She had heard a few people talking about Drogon, how the dragon appeared agitated and had been flying in low circles above the mountain Mirkwood was built inside most of the day and every time he had spotted an elf on the ground Drogon had swooped down with a roar, scaring them back inside the palace.

Rhaenyra wanted to go outside, she didn't want to stay couped up inside and she knew that she couldn't stay much longer. The early evening hours started to roll on, bringing with them a shift in the sky's colors, pale blue slowly but surely shifting into orange shades. How long would it take for the dwarves to reach Erebor and find the entrance? Rhaenyra shuddered as the thought of Smaug the Terrible entered her mind. 

Narya's ruby had been constantly glowing since her heated exchange with Thranduil, sending out waves of heat each time Drogon roared particularly loud. The Dragon Queen paced the walkways closest to her chambers, angrily muttering all curses she knew in High Valyrian, mentioning Thranduil's name a few times in connection to them. Though her concentration broke when screams were heard and all guards in close vicinity to her ran past her in the direction of where the noise had come from.

A shriek followed, not the shriek of an elf or human but the one of a dragon. Rhaenyra shook her head to rid herself of her irritated thoughts and followed the running guards through the palace, heading to the largest gates where a large gathering of elves could be seen.

Drogon's displeased growls were clearer now and Rhaenyra saw how something on the other side of the giant wooden doors was pushing against them, trying to get inside. She knew it was Drogon trying to find her and was momentarily impressed with his composure of only carefully pushing his head against the door and not blasting them down with dragonflame. 

Rhaenyra pushed past the guards, using as much force as she could to twist herself out of the grip of one of them who had managed to almost detain her fully. With a hard stomp on his foot Rhaenyra was free and could swiftly slink through the doors where Drogon was waiting for her, happy now when he could see her. 

Still, Rhaenyra had never seen Drogon this stressed and angry before in her life. His head went from sniffing her in greeting to reaching high up in the air, letting out a deep rumble before flapping his giant wings in agitation. He sunk down to her level when Rhaenyra reached up with a hand towards him.