An Impending Doom

"...but he... Yes..."

"that... not..."

The words gradually came into focus as Merlin came to. He groaned clutching his head that was attacked by a piercing pain.

The door opened followed by Guinevere. "Merlin! You're awake! Thank goodness!" She hurried over to his bedside placing a hand on his forehead. She had been feeling quite protective lately, perhaps it was a side effect.

"Good to see you looking a bit better, Merlin. Thought the celebrations became too much for you, what with you being weak and all," Arthur jabbed at Merlin. But Guinevere gave him a look which caused his smirk to fall.

"Well, his heart rate and breathing is normal," Gaius said examining Merlin. "Just need to get some liquids and food into him and he will survive." Gaius nodded placing a cup of water on the bedside table.

"We'll leave you to get some rest," Guinevere said patting his shoulder as she rose to leave.

"Gaius," Arthur said when they left Merlin's room. Gaius turned his attention to the king.

"I know I have not fully experienced what it is like to have someone with magic around. I don't know much, but what I do know is that whatever caused him to lose consciousness, is not something to be taken lightly."

Gaius nodded gravely. He had his suspicions, but without proof, the wise, aged man could not divulge anything to the king. "You are right to be concerned, sire. I will look into it."

Arthur clapped Gaius' shoulder in gratitude. "Thank you Gaius. You have always been a good and trustworthy friend." Arthur smiled and left the chambers with Guinevere in tow.

Merlin heard when the door closed after Arthur. He closed his eyes thinking of the dream-like vision he had while he was unconscious...

Merlin stood on the bank of the Lake of Avalon. He watched Arthur's head disappear under the water.

The whirlpool was slowly starting to ease up when that same black cloaked figure emerged from the small whirlpool. However, this time there was a face and that face belonged to Morgana, his mortal enemy. Her eyes were bloodshot as she hovered closer to Merlin.

"Emrys."

A dark voice came from her mouth as all around them grew dark.

"Emrys," she said again. "You have defied the law of nature. You have destroyed the bonds of destiny. You have denied the prophecy from coming true," she paused right in front of him. "Now you will pay."

He looked into her eyes as he saw the hate that was just like the darkness around him. His words could not form as he processed what was being said to him.

"What-what does that mean?"

He had been given many prophecies and oracles in past times, but this one overruled them all. The darkness and the hate which emanated from the spirit, in the form of Morgana, was unlike anything he experienced.

It was pure evil.

"You will pay, Emrys. You will pay," she said again, her voice resonating in his mind. She repeated those words, but faded away as he fell, down a deep blackness.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

Merlin was laying out Arthur's armour in preparation for training when Guinevere entered the chambers.

"I'm glad to see you up and about, Merlin. How are you feeling?" she asked him.

"Hmm, I'm good thank you." He shrugged and gave her a small smile.