MATEO SANCHEZ | FEBRUARY 2020

SUSPECT #2MATEO SANCHEZFEBRUARY 2020

SUSPECT #2
MATEO SANCHEZ
FEBRUARY 2020

          ALL HE FEELS IS ANGER. Both of his fists are clenched under the table with the muscle in his jaw ticking. He hates that square room with the double-sided mirror next to him. It's musty and smells of fresh paint. The interrogation room isn't exactly the Hilton, or the Sanchez vacation home in Madrid. 

         The door clicks open and Detective Gunner comes walking in with fast strides. Mateo watches her sit down and tie her tight curls into a ponytail. She's flicking through her notepad, not without licking the tip of her callus finger, of course, and takes the pen from behind her ear. 

        Her skinny brows raises as she glances at Mateo, feeling that she's been glared at ever since she stepped into the room. Across her is a boy, almost a man with his impressive physique, an angry one, staring back at her. Detective Gunner smiles politely and clasps her hands on top of the table. 

        "How are we doing today, Mr Sanchez?" She asks. 

        He scoffs, "Why am I here again, Detective? Don't you all have the information you need from a year ago?" 

        "Of course," The smile on her face tightens, "But we just want to make sure we have everything. We just want to help the Petrovs, like we would do with any other grieving family." 

         "Of course," He repeats, almost mocking her tone. A sarcastic one. 

         Detective Gunner's smile disappears as soon as she looks back at her notes. Other than being born into a wealthy family, Mateo is an aspiring boxer, like his world champion father, Miguel Sanchez. His father's career kicked off in the late 90s and into the early 2000s before he ventured off into launching his own company, a luxury airline, Pegasus. Thus, creating a wealthy empire that set the Sanchezes for life. Being the oldest child, Mateo is bound to inherit everything with, what, two younger sisters that are still in preschool. 

        A boy like that may seem too refined for murder but it wouldn't be a surprise. 

       "I've talked to your girlfriend and she said you were with her the moment Tatiana was found dead," She starts, tapping her pen against the corner of her notepad. The tapping sound irritates Mateo. It reminds him of that fucking clock in the hallway. Detective Gunner's abruptly stops, the tip of the pen pointed against the edge of the paper, "Is there any way you can attest to that?" 

       Mateo smirked, "I'd suggest you check the security camera in the cellar. Dmitri Petrov is a man with a passion for collecting wine. But I do have to warn you though. Parental advisory as they say," he leans over the table slightly, leaning his cheek against his hand as he looks at the detective. She's fairly young, perhaps middle-aged. He catches a glimpse of her left hand. No ring. "Are you in love, Detective Gunner?" 

       "That kind of conversation is above my paygrade, Mr Sanchez." 

       "Just small talk. Figured we should get to know each other since the police department is getting comfortable getting to know my friends and I, hey?" 

       Detective Gunner leans away from the table and sighs, "Yes, I am." 

       "Do tell," Mateo exaggerates his interest by smiling wildly, "Boyfriend? Girlfriend?"

       "Girlfriend." 

       "Love is love is love." Mateo sing-song and chuckles. He clears his throat, "Now, Detective Gunner, have you ever fucked your girlfriend when you're high?" 

       "Where are you going with this, kid?" Detective Gunner asks, trying not to roll her eyes. There is a bravado to Mateo, which is a given since he's a prince in his own realm just without the crown. 

       He frowns, "Thought you wanted to hear all the details?" Mateo waves his hand airily, "Anyway, we were both high off of weed and fucked right then and there. You know, people think Kara's this refined, prim and proper little posh girl -- which she is -- but there is no way you can tame her in bed. She likes  getting choked--"

       "That's enough, Mr Sanchez," Detective Gunner almost begs as she holds her palm up to signal for him to stop. She sees the smug grin on his face and then asks, "Some of the students mentioned about a rumour going around about what happened at Evan Morrison's seventeenth birthday party. Is there anything you can say about that?" 

       The bravado immediately tears itself away from him as the smug grin breaks away. Mateo swallows the bitter taste in his mouth as the remnants of what happened at the party flash before his eyes. He's managed to forget about it, or at least, most of it but now, he realises he's been avoiding it instead like shoving it into a shoebox that's hidden in the depths of his closet. His chest feels like it's collapsing as the memory violently ravages his mind. 

       It breaks his heart every time. He not only sees it but he hears it too. The screams. The laughter. It haunts him sometimes. 

      Mateo looks away from Detective Gunner to blink away the tears, feeling his throat go dry and that he lost all ability to even let a word out. He fumbles with the side of his mouth and shuts his eyes for a moment before opening them again, meeting Detective Gunner's eyes as they soften at the sight in front of her. 

       A tired boy. Nothing but a tired, restless boy. 

      "I know they say love can make you do crazy things," he starts as his voice cracks. He pauses and takes in a deep breath, running his fingers through his hair, "But Kara's the only thing that's keeping me sane. I could never lay a hand on someone she cares about. Even Tatiana -- even after everything she did." 

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀