Chapter 14

"Theresa!" Daphne cried out when she saw that they had arrived. "Did it work?"

"It did," the wizard said.

"So now she won't find us?" Daphne asked him nervously.

"Not magically. Not a trace can get through. Wizard Jim is an excellent wizard, but distance makes beggars of us all."

"Thank you so much!" Daphne said, her happiness overcoming her nervousness at being around the wizard.

"I don't know what we would have done without you, my lord! Meeting Wizard Jim and you have been the first bits of good fortune that Theresa and I have encountered."

The wizard smiled absently as if his mind were already at his next task and then nodded his head.

"I am most pleased to help. If you need anything at all, let one of the maids know. Lady Theresa, I am going to research for a couple of days. I'll send someone for you when I'm ready to attempt to remove the spell," he said.

"That sounds wonderful," Daphne said and smiled.

"Allow me to take my leave, my ladies."

With a quick final nod Wildwood was gone.

"This is perfect," Daphne said delightedly to her sister, looking around the room. They were in a nice sitting room, although it was small.

Theresa could also see two bedrooms through doors to one side and a water closet. All very much designed for normal humans. Theresa sighed. All the things she used to take for granted.

"It will be nice when you can talk again. I miss the sound of your voice," Daphne said.

Theresa nodded emphatically. Daphne had no idea how nice it would be. She just hoped that this wizard could actually do it.

"Sir Thomas is pretty handsome, isn't he?" Daphne said, changing the subject. She giggled lightly.

Theresa scowled at her sister, trying to convey the fact that that sort of nonsense was not why they were at Wildwood. She hoped that Daphne would get the hint.

Daphne was undeterred. "I'm sure you think so, too, or maybe you prefer Lord Wildwood. He's intimidating but there is nothing wrong with him in appearance."

Theresa deepened her scowl as much as her feline facial muscles would allow. That was absolutely not what they were there for.

"Oh, don't look so angry. I can hardly help but notice. Just because things are serious does not mean that we can't stop and smell the roses. It's not as if there's anything I could do right now even if I wanted to. Seriously, Theresa, you're such a stick in the mud."

Theresa could see that Daphne was not grasping the gravity of the situation, as usual. Of course, Daphne was not the one walking around on four paws, an extremely grounding experience.

Besides, if Daphne was just smelling roses as opposed to ogling their hosts, Theresa thought that she would be hardly bothered by it in comparison.

As for Sir Thomas or Lord Wildwood being handsome, Theresa did not really know.

Neither of the two men looked particularly attractive to her but perhaps that had something to do with being in such a short form.

When she looked at their faces, she could see up their noses and the bottom of their chins. Hardly the most attractive angle for any human and her cat side was definitely not impressed either way.

Also, like Daphne, their grayish pallor did not make them look better than if they had proper human tones.

She shrugged. Wildwood was definitely more attractive than Thomas, if in personality alone, which she could still gauge. He—