Chapter 38

I'm in the kitchen blending up a protein smoothie for breakfast. I grab a blender cup, filling it with almond milk and strawberries. I add two scoops of protein powder and twist on the blender blade attachment. Kristin got home late last night and I'm pretty sure she's still asleep, so I feel slightly guilty as I lock it into the base and push the button. Although, she needs to get up anyway if we're going to make it to our classes this morning. I stop the blending and remove the blade, slipping a straw into my cup. I walk down the hallway and back to my bedroom, taking my smoothie with me. I know Kristin's awake when I hear the bathroom door close and the shower turn on. I decide to go for comfort today, as I pull on a pair of black leggings and my black tunic sweater. My hair is down, falling on my shoulders and back in long beachy waves. When I hear the water turn off and another door close, I know the bathroom is free and I make my way down the hall. I grab my make-up bag and wipe the condensation from the mirror. I carefully draw a thin black line around my eyes and then swipe the mascara wand through my lashes and I'm ready to go.

Making one quick stop back in my bedroom, I grab my empty blender cup and my backpack. In the kitchen I take a minute to rinse my cup and then add it to the dishwasher. I notice that it's full of dishes, so I grab a small pod from under the sink and start a cycle before taking a seat on the couch to wait for Kristin. She comes skipping down the hallway, her high ponytail bouncing lightly as she walks.

"You seem awfully cheery this morning," I smile in her direction.

"I had the most fantastic night," she beams.

"I heard you get in pretty late, what time did you end up getting home from dropping Luke off?" I ask.

The smile is still plastered across her face as she answers, "I think somewhere around midnight. I was enjoying my time with Luke too much to leave." She doesn't have to say more, I already know exactly what she means. "You ready?" she asks and we head out the door.

I can feel the excitement buzzing in the air when we arrive on campus as it seems everyone is anticipating the first home game of the season tonight. Kristin and I head in different directions for our classes, promising to meet back at the car around one o'clock. I fully expect my one Friday class to drag by, but it goes surprisingly quickly and before I know it, I'm already headed back to the car. I meet Kristin and we make our drive back to the apartment, as we have every other day this week.

I've already completed most of my assignments for next week, but I do have a quick chapter to read for my nutrition class. I bring my backpack into my room and grab the text book from my desk, taking it back to the couch with me.

"Oh my..." Kristin's voice trails off as she sits beside me on the couch, swiping her finger on her phone. I try to keep concentrating on my reading, until she shoves the screen under my nose. My eyes are met with a professional photo of Dex in his hockey gear, minus a helmet, so you can see his face clearly. He has on his red and white uniform and gloves, and he's pointing his hockey stick straight in the direction of the camera. The words 'Game Day' are written across the corner. He looks amazing and I'm instantly done with studying. I toss my book on the coffee table and flip on the TV instead, there is no way I can concentrate with that image now in my head.

"We should probably get changed. Court will be here soon to pick us up," Kristin says standing from her spot on the couch and walking towards her room. I grab my book from the coffee table and head for my own room. "Don't forget to bring a bag if you're planning to stay at Dex's tonight," I hear her yell through the door.

In my room I find a small bag and throw in some clothes for later and tomorrow, hoping that I'll be going home with Dex tonight after the game. I zip it closed and toss it next to the door, then go back over to the dresser to find an outfit to wear to the game. I pull out a pair of gray skinny jeans and a soft pale blue long sleeved Henley. After changing into my ensemble, I open the closet and grab a lightweight jacket and a pair of black heeled booties before going back down the hall and into the bathroom. I spend a few minutes touching up my make-up and then I decide to braid my hair. I make a part and weave two loose braids, one on each side. I run quickly back into my bedroom and grab my BU winter hat that Kristin gave me for my birthday and pull it down onto my head.