Journey to the center of Attention

Prologue:

It was one of those days when things just wouldn't go right.

Right from the moment that you wake up, you got to take a bath and the water heater isn't working. You somehow get ready, you try to pack your stuff and realize your bag's zipper is broken. You are late for a school and your car breaks down in the middle of the road.

Anyhow you manage to reach school just on time, you bump into a teacher while running into the lobby and you both fall down, your glasses falling down and people running over it leading to your glasses being broken. You find whatever's left of your glasses and you get up, shooting a quick apology, running off to class leaving the teacher on the floor without offering your hand for her to get up. The day when you get bullied by the pretty bitches with riches.

It was one of those days for me, Tiara Haydes, a nerd.

I was wondering how on earth did life get so worse! I was a pretty happy kid back then. Smart and sweet, that's what my friends said. Then came  high school. I was labelled a 'nerd' because I was smart, I wore glasses, wore clothes that weren't all that revealing, wasn't 'pretty enough' whatever the hell that meant and wasn't a bitch. I began picked on by the 'it girl's aka the pretty bitches with riches,the PBWR, those pretty 'daddy's rich spoilt girls'.  

Luck was never on my side. The day I just described, those days came way often. The guy I liked was one of the 'it' guys and he wouldn't even notice me. My only guy friend was a computer geek who was cute. The only problem was that he treated me and saw me more like a sister. My best friend was a nerd too who, like me, was being picked on too by the PBWR, who too, like me, had a hopeless crush on one of the 'it' guys.

One thing I never understood was that what actually did the 'it' crowd mean.What was with all these labels?

It was like the ancient Indian cast system. The jocks were like the Kshatriyas, the warrior kings.

The only difference was that in the Indian caste system, the scholars, the Brahmins were on top of the social ladder, they were considered the upper caste. Here, smartness pushes you way down on the social ladder. Being a nerd or a geek means being bullied. We aren't the 'invisible' people. The ghetto crowd, the music freaks, the skate boarders, the badasses... out of all these people, the nerds, especially us nerdy girls, were chosen to be the top target of the PBWRs.

I sat there at the end of the day looking out through my window and working myself up thinking about all of this. I've had enough. I really wish things could change at AWS now. But how?

Just then I saw a shooting star. People say that wish that you wish upon a shooting star comes true. Why not give it a try?  

I tried to wish in a fancy way, with a poem that rhymes, more like some sort of spell:

I wish upon the shooting star,

The PBWR let us live peacefully, just the way we are,

I am not rude, I am not mean, I sure am not a wannabe.

Still my life is a rut. Why can't people just accept me?

Mom says I beautiful, even if I don't try to be.

If that's true, why won't he just notice me?

I wish upon the shooting star,

Things should no longer remain the way they are.

I recited it as quickly as I can. I opened my eyes and the star was gone.

Bleh! It was just for fun! Wish upon a shooting star and your wish will come true? Plain nonsense. What was it, a genie? Even those aren't real.

Shooting star is nothing but the visible path of a meteoroid as it enters the atmosphere to become a meteor and burns up into flames.

Wish upon a shooting star my foot! Things had to change, but they weren't changing anytime soon.

With that thought, I got back to bed...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N : I started yet another story! :P I read a rant the other day about nerds being bullied and this topic of 'nerds' seemed to be coming up a lot lately for me. So THIS is what came in my mind. This is my 'experimental' story. Right now I don't know where exactly am I going with this :P

This prologue is what I came up with.

Please vote and comment if liked this :)

Thanks a ton awesome people :)