Dont You Ever Forget About Me (AmazingPhil and danisnotonfire phanfic)

He had been running late, like usual. Only this time he was really, REALLY late. Maybe an hour or so late. He had been running. He had almost made it across the street. He almost made it to his destination. He almost escaped yet another near death situation.

But fate had a different idea in mind.

The driver didn't see see him. The driver was distracted by their angered spouse. Their spouse didn't see him. Their argument was intense, one that should not have been had in a moving vehicle. The driver had faced their spouse when it happened.

The impact.

The life changing situation.

And never again would he say that God was playing a game with his life.

For that day was the day that caused Mr. Daniel Howell to go into a deep coma, one he would be in for many months, before he lost his battle.

_____________________________________________

I walked through the halls as I did everyday. I said quick "hi" and "hello"s to the nurses and doctors as I passed. By now I knew every one of their names. This became my second home.

Dan has been in his coma for about 4 months now. I haven't been able to bring myself to go into our home so I've been staying at my parents home, but even there I was haunted by memories. It's not that I wanted to forget Dan, I just wanted at least one place to escape to to relax and clear my mind with out being reminded. It was hard enough not having him there, but to not be able to have a conversation with him killed me. I missed the many conversations we'd have. Many funny, many deep, and many just plain weird. We would have to stop our conversation just to say "Wait, what are we even talking about?" or "How did we get from llamas to the Cold War?"

I walked into the very similar room. Dan laid on the bed, all sorts of tubes sticking out of him. Some of his cuts had healed and his bruises were gone. I sat next to Dan and grabbed his hand. He gave a very small, but noticeable, squeeze in return.

"Hey Dan. It's me again, Phil. I know you probably can't hear me, but just hang in there alright?"

There is a knock on the door. I turn my head and see Dans doctor.

"Phil, can I have a word with you?"

I nod and follow the doctor put. He seems very concerned, which worried me.

"What's wrong?" I ask as soon as we're in the hall.

"Phil... Dan isn't doing too well. We've.... We've talked to his parents and we all agree that-"

"No..." I look the ground. I know what they're going to say, I've seen it so many times in movies. I never would have thought it'd happen to me someday. "But he's doing better! I can tell! He's been squeezing my hand back, that has to count for something! Please!"

The doctor placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, but his family decided it was for the best. We're going to pull the plug tomorrow. I'm sorry Phil. I'm so, so sorry." The doctor gave a sympathetic smile and left. I stumbled back into the room and landed into the chair in a daze. Hot tears started spilling uncontrollably from my eyes. I grabbed Dans hand and once again he returned with a squeeze, this time lasting a bit longer.

"Dan... Please wake up. They don't think you're getting better, but I know that isn't true! I see you getting stronger everyday. I feel it... Literally." I gave a short laugh at my joke, seeing a small smile appear on his face. I take his hand into both of mine.

"I don't know if you want to die or if you're afraid or if you just can't wake up, but know that we all love you. You're my best friend and I don't know what I'm going to do with out you. Please, Dan, I'm begging you! Please wake up! PLEASE!" I put my head down onto the bed and sob, hand still in his. This will be our last moments together alone. I knew he was strong, but not that strong. No matter how much I begged I knew he wouldn't wake up. I can tell he wanted to and that he was trying but the others just couldn't see it.

After some time I finally lift my head and look at him. The was a single tear rolling down his cheek. I try my best to hold back another wave of tears and decide to tell him stories.

"Remember that one time me, you, Peej, and Chris went to Italy? We played tag in the streets, had crazy amazing food, and remember that pool? It was so beautiful. Remember all the "your mum" jokes we used to say? I swear we used those at least 10 times a day. And Delia? Her pancakes and your secret love? Come on, you have to wake up for her." I wait a few seconds for a response, and when I got none I continued. "Remember the AmazingDan and Philisnotonfire videos? All the cat whiskers and placentas. Oh the placentas! You loved those, right? If you wake up I'll make you a placenta cake." Once again, I get no response.

I continued to tell old stories until I grew tired of shedding tears and it neared the end of visiting hours. I slowly rose from my seat and started walking out the door. I was almost out out of the door when I heard a muffled "Phil?" From behind me. I turn around quickly and see Dans head facing me, eyes open and a smile slowly appearing on his face.

"Dan! Doctor he's awake! He's awake guys!" I yelled into the hall and I ran back to him.

"I would hug you but you know, I cant." He gave a hollow laugh followed by a painful cough. "Sorry.."

"That's okay." His voice was very raspy, but at least he was awake.

"I'm just so glad you're alright now. They almost pulled the plug. They had planned to tomorrow. I don't think I could have bared to see it..."

"Well me too. Even though I'm in a lot of pain now, I'm thankful to be alive." He smiles larger.

"So, what do you want to do when you get out?"

"That's a tough one, probably sleep." He laughed as best as he could.

"How about we go to dinner the you can sleep all you like."

"Sounds good to me."

"It's a deal then. Even if its take out that'd be good for me. I just want to have a meal with you before."

"Phil, are you alright?" I frowned at him.

"Yes I'm alright, are you okay Dan?" Dan reached an arm out to my shoulder and started shaking it.

"Wake up Phil!"

"Dan, wha?-"

"Phil! Wake-"

"-up! Visiting hours are over." I jolt awake. I see Dan asleep. It was all just a dream. I feel tears start to form in my eyes again so I leave to room quickly, practically running out of the hospital. I grab a taxi and head back to my parents home for a restless nights sleep.

"Please wake up, Dan. Please. For me." I whisper.

_______________________________________________

I arrived first to the hospital. I made sure I'd be the first so I can properly say goodbye without his family being around. As much as I didn't want to see him suffer, I would be there for him when they pulled the plug like so he wouldn't suffer alone, like I've always been.

I rushed up to the room and found nurses and doctors in there already. I look to the bed and saw it empty.

"What's going on? What's happened?!" I say in a panic, rushing into the room.

"Dan didn't make it through the night. He passed away peacefully in his sleep."

I stand in shock.

"No... No that can't be true... He was doing good yesterday... He smiled at me! He cried with me! He squeezed my hand back! He can't be dead! He just can't..." I drop to me knees and put my head into my hands. The doctor kneeled before me.

"I'm sorry Phil. We tried to save him, we really did. But the battle is over. He's in a much peaceful place now. He doesn't have to suffer anymore."

"But he's not with me!" I yelled to the doctor. "I'm never going to see him again! He was my best friend. I was there for him through everything. Everything! I wanted to be here for him when he passed so he wouldn't have to die alone. He's always been alone. He's always been there for me and I owed him this one thing, this ONE thing and I couldn't do it."

The doctor hugged me. "Phil, you were there for him. Every day you came to him and sat by his side. You told him all about your day and how everyone was doing. He would be proud of you Phil. He never was alone. He had you."