Cream

Everything smells amazing and the night has started to finally cool off a bit. The humidity could strangle you but thankfully there's a soft breeze. I take a sip of the wine and look out over the small town street. It's been a long ... couple of years. But tonight I feel like I can breathe a little.

That is until my cell phone starts buzzing in my pocket. I try to ignore it but I am on a job so I have to check it. I pull out my phone to find a few missed calls and texts from Julie. "Where are you? Production can't find you and they're about to put out a missing person's alert. They want you in an hour early in the morning. Here's Nick's number. Call him so he can pick you up. WHEREVER YOU ARE."

I text back: "I'm fine. Having dinner. I'll call Nick when I'm done. Thanks. And stop working!"

"Stop getting lost and maybe I'll stop working."

"Good night!" I write back and shut off my phone.

I look over at Kate and watch as she deftly handles the grill, with steak, asparagus and peaches. She obviously has mad chef skills. She looks so comfortable and confident with what she's doing. She takes the steak off the grill and sets it aside to rest. 

"So where did you study cooking?" I ask.

Kate looks over at me and brushes away a few strands of her long dark hair that have fallen out of her clip.

"Oh, well, that's a sordid tale that involves loud, angry, narcissistic French chefs, an overcrowded shared flat, and lots of red wine. The wine was incredible but the rest of the experience, not so much. I learned from the best though. And I have the burns, scars and PTSD to prove it."

"Sounds like you'd rather not relive it?"

"Definitely not the screaming and long hours but I do miss the cafes. A perfect day off was sleeping in and stumbling down to the local cafe for a grand creme and fresh croissant. I'd spend hours just watching the people go by. What I wouldn't give to have a day like that again. How about you? What made you get into acting?"

"That's a long sordid tale of being in the right place at the right time."

"Let me guess. A talent agent saw you on the street and plucked you from obscurity."

"Good guess. But no. My brother needed a ride to an audition and when I got there, the casting director shoved the scene pages in my hand so I auditioned too. My brother was so mad when I got the part. I feel a little guilty about it but he's okay."

"Living in your shadow ..."

"Don't feel sorry for him. He has an incredible wife and four amazing kids. I'm the one who's jealous of him now."

My cell buzzes again. I pull it out. It's Nick. I answer. "Hey Nick, what's up? Ah, Julie wanted you to call to make sure I have your number? I do have your number Nick and I'll call you when I'm done with dinner. Thanks man."

"You have a lot of handlers, don't you?"

"They mean well, but I do miss my privacy. My life's an open book to the entire world. Every move I make is dissected by the media and my fans and those who'd rather I fell off the face of the earth."

"I can't believe there are too many who feel that way."

"You'd be surprised."

Kate starts plating the meal. She places the steak that's been resting in the middle of the plate and carefully positions the asparagus next to the meat. Both have the most perfect grill marks. She then puts the peaches on a separate plate and carefully places the burrata on top. She slices open the cheese and the cream seeps out sensually over the grilled peaches. 

"I'm jealous that you get to work with your hands every day. If I weren't an actor, I'd probably build furniture or something."

"Yeah, I love cooking, probably a little too much. I find myself dreaming about it so much that I come up with new recipes in my sleep. It's kind of annoying that some of my best work is when I'm in bed."

"That sounds like a good thing, no?" We both laugh and I catch myself wondering what it would be like to wake up next to Kate. I push the idea out of my head. I know it's been two years, but I'm not ready yet. "But I hear you. I often forget what it's like to not live and breathe the next big movie or television project. Most of my phone calls are from my agent or attorney or as you can tell my assistant Julie."

"Ohh, that doesn't sound very fun. Sounds like we're two workaholics who could use a break."

"A break? What foreign language are you speaking?"

Kate puts the food down. "How about we start right now? Let's take a break from the world and enjoy this meal. Oh, I almost forgot the garlic sauce!" She runs to get the pan on the grill's side burner. She rushes back to the table and ladles garlic sauteed in butter over the steaks.

"You know, I have a wardrobe fitting in the morning. I don't think my costumer is going to be happy if I've gained 5 pounds since giving him my measurements."

"It'll all be worth it. Trust me." 

I take at look at Kate's delicious-looking spread on the table. "I believe you." 

I take a seat and relax into the chair. A break sounds pretty awesome as I feel my cell phone buzz again. This time I ignore it.