◇ Sweets | Mary

Requested by: Hi_Im_AntiSocial
(Child reader!)
---

It wasn't often she had the courage to speak of her past, as if any word that was related to such was a sin. Parties, the luxury and taste of fine wine had almost permanently engraved in her mind like ink. She was seen as a neglectful queen, and as far as she knew, they had been right.

Growing up within a household of finest silk, jewelry, and a plethora of sweets, the life she once had had been stripped away so young. Ignorant to a new home, it seemed like nobody had welcomed her with open arms. They viewed her as useless, neglectful, and just plain undeserving of the country's finest taste. She had often tried ignoring these ill whispers, ears rather distracted by the sapphire sparkles of earrings. What was she supposed to do? Although trying to regain control, false rumors were bigger and were more truth than to the lies. In the end, the finally had shifted into a bloody scene, the sweet taste of wine slowly drifted into the taste of metallic iron.

But even then, aside from endearing skeptics of people, there had been a little light inside the palace walls. It had became her only light, and no matter how many years had it been, Mary could never forget her sweet laughter. She could barely remember how precious the child was, almost delicately dressed like a proclaim doll. Skin soft and warm, she would never have seen her bundle of joy grow up to be an elegant woman...

¤▪︎◇▪︎¤

Her face had been almost been wiped out from her memory. How many years has it been? Mary couldn't remember. Almost like a lucid dream, every now and then a fragment of her past come and go within the darkness of the night. But never fully coming back, they drifted away faster than she could ever try to reach for a grip. Why was it so far, and yet so close? Those familiar vibrant blue doe eyes were similar to the skies, cheeks rosy and soft. She missed her precious daughter as a doting mother would, and yet it often got cut off with a slice of a blade. Never knowing the fate of a once cherished child, Mary was forced to leave it all behind, just like how everyone else did too.

The clacking of her heels often alerted everyone else before she could say anything, the patterned noise soft and yet so subtle to the ears. The infamous Bloody Queen had stood in her throne of a well respected hunter, and although a striking stitch on her neck scarred of a gruesome sin, she tilted her head up high. Her mirrors reflected pain and suffering, an unexpected hit from the back would not be any different than of a normal thrust of a sharp glass. Quick, smooth and clean- just like the blade of the guillotine she laid on. No more, no less, this game of Oletus is but a simple curse.

Mary was almost inevitable. But why hasn't she dare touch that child?

Her voidless eyes drifted on the figure of a small child, one almost familiar to the stature of someone else. Height barely even above the queen's waist, your small body looked to be of glass; fragile and easy to break. You had worn a navy blue dress that reached to the knees, stripped stockings had contrasted with the deep blue. Hair tied up with a soft black bow, a few strands laid a rest on the soft curves of your cheeks. Mary had to look twice at first, still amused at how the owner of the manor would dare even invite such an innocent child to this...horrid place. Shouldn't you be off with your family? Shouldn't you be playing like all other children? It was evident that even you were but confused in the situation. Understandably, fear within those irises of yours were directed at her.

It was strange to find Mary's chest to begin feeling rather solemn, an unusual discomfort and maybe even disappointment had settled. Was she really that scary looking? After all matches she had ever taken place in, none had really minded her looks. Perhaps it was the focus of escaping that wiped out any fear of appearance, replacing with the thought of never being able to get out unscathed. But even so, she understood this was a child that was merely seven years old pulled within a reckless game by some unkind man. You didn't need to be here, and yet you are.

"Are you afraid of me?" Mary asked, although her tone was unfamiliar with softness. It wasn't booming with authority like it had always been, the delicate hum almost corrected a displeased note.

You peeked from the barrel you stood behind, small hands just clutching onto the piece of wood. "N-No...not really I think.." you answered, although insecurity played a role. The obvious patch of dirt on the hems of your dress had not been so kind, the feeling of muck and sticky mud from the shore made it at home near ruffles and embroidered laces. It wasn't pleasant, but so is the intimidating aura surrounding the frightful queen. Although cowering with fear, the voidless eyes of the strange woman replenished a soft gaze. "I...I don't know where I am.." you croaked.

The displeased tone of your voice had shaken the late queen, eyebrows furrowed at the sound of a child so small, so young, and so lost quiver within the windy shores of lakeside. It reminded her so much of her daughter, the nights where the young princess had been seeking for a mother's warmth and comfort beaten a distasteful nightmare. It may have been her instinct, but the sudden urge to hold you tight was unbearable. Mary's pale hands had gripped onto your tiny body, setting her glass weapon to the side in fear of you being hurt by it. She had sat you on her lap, the red silky dress was somehow warm was wrinkled, but she didn't mind one bit.

"Do you like sweets?" Mary asked, reaching for the back pocket of the dress, hand restlessly shuffling further inside until the feeling of a small sphere shape touched the pads of her fingertips. Of course they weren't old, as she wasn't the kind to keep candy inside pockets for too long in fear of anyone finding out she had been sneaking in some treats within her place of hunting. They had been but comfort amongst the distasteful arrangements of survivors such as the seer, or perfumer. The sweet taste had made all the more bearable, lowering any stress from the time of the small pack of sugar into her mouth.

You had hummed, nodding your head hesitantly as the woman held you in her arms, cradling until the warmth made it's way closer. It was nice, you had to admit, such sensation sending a nice and familiar comfort. It had been like the way your mother once held you in the night, her soft skin grazing yours as she hummed in a melodic tune.

The tiny candy was placed on your lap, plastic wrapping hiding a delicious treat. It looked tempting, but the sudden embrace from the hunter made you but sleepy. Exhausted and possibly even homesick, this day had been the same day you had entered the ominous manor of Oletus. Who would've thought you'd find yourself in a neverending game of life? Between humans and....in this case- hunters, you had stumbled a fate laid out from manor rules. It wasn't sure when you would be released, if not ever be able to leave. The people had already considered this as home, but could you really trust this place full of secrets? A little child like you were but curious, a thorn of questions prickling your mind without ease. You were scared and definitely unsettled. But who is to blame?

Despite the worry of your mind, you had found it hard not to fall asleep, the embrace of the female hunter was as if you were on your bed at home again; so inviting and warm....

¤▪︎◇▪︎¤

It was hard carrying a child back to the chambers, delicate as a flower, gentle like a feather, you had fallen asleep ever so peacefully on Mary's arms. She reached her room, to where the warmth of silky sheets await. Sure, some people had been intrigued by the Bloody Queen's unusual behaviour towards the new but young survivor. Pity wasn't exactly a common trait for her, so only then when survivors and hunters alike found out why she had changed drastically throughout a single day- they were but pleased.

Small and sweet, was what Mary described the little child on her bed, sleeping so peacefully. The candy that had been handed laid on the bedside table, lamp illuminated the clear packaging of such sweets. She wasn't sure of the future for you, but hoping you would grow with happiness only gave a new hope...that one day even after the end of these games, you would still remember the taste of a familiar warmth of a hunter...

A/N: Not sure if you had known, but I accidentally published this a bit early and still unfinished ^^; sorry about that, it's embarrassing if me. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this nice short and sweet oneshot of Mary ♡♡♡