Wave Fifty Three

Not long passed before Leira reappeared in their chamber, clutching Firth’s orb to her chest. Hali started at the sight of it.
(What the – how – where?) she spluttered in disbelief. Drawn by Hali’s loud projections, Tal and Nerida swam over. Leira tried to shush them, and stashed the orb safely under their mattress.
(It was no big deal,) she projected, trying to sound modest. Although secretly pleased with their admiration, Leira managed to quiet her friends.

In reality, it really hadn’t been a big deal. As soon as she’d left their cavern, she’d headed to the main chamber. Firth had been there, surrounded by a group of Scouts. They’d all been looking at him transfixed, as he entertained them with a story. His eyes had met Leira’s briefly, before they slid over her, pretending he hadn’t seen. The slight had hardened Leira’s resolve. Knowing the coast was clear, she’d sped to Firth’s quarters.  The entrance to his room was covered with a thick whale hide. Leira had to use both her hands to push it out of her way. Firth’s chambers were huge; the water in them smelt clean and sweet. Sea anemones carpeted the seabed in his room, and Leira had felt her tail tingle as she’d brushed against them. Great ceiling orbs poured light down, dazzling her. The red orb had been hanging above a great oyster shell: Firth’s mirror. Leira knew he’d have it displayed somewhere obvious, and she smiled at Firth’s vanity.

(So we have to leave now,) Leira explained urgently, as she finished telling the others. (He’ll realise his orb is missing as soon as he goes to his chamber.)
(But he won’t know it was us who took it,) Nerida thought. She seemed daunted at the thought of leaving so suddenly.
(True. But the moment he realises it’s gone, he could call us all together. Forbid anyone from leaving the Nest. And then you’d be stuck here.) Leira let her words sink in. She hadn’t meant to sound so harsh, and knew they were thinking about the last time Firth had given them an order that couldn’t be broken.
(She’s right. We have to move.) Hali’s thought scratched through the water. It was their cue to leave, and there was a flurry of movement as the friends scrabbled to gather their supplies. Nerida had a small hideskin bag they used to conceal Firth’s orb. Before they left, Tal darted past Leira across the chamber. Leira heard him project a small goodbye to the sea dragons and watched as he sprinkled out some extra algae for them. With a last look at the chamber, Leira swept back the seaweed curtain, and they were away.