Before Everything Changed

The leaves crunched underneath my worn shoes as I walked. My school bag weighed down with all the textbooks I needed for the upcoming weekend. With a few hours of homework ahead of me I would have most of the weekend free to do whatever I wanted, not that i had much if a social life.

As I continued along the sidewalk I looked around. Everything is so peaceful. I saw children playing in the street with just a light coat and a hat in this autumn weather. I saw mothers pushing strollers with their dog trotting along on the side. The park was full of children playing on a Friday afternoon, their parents chatting off to the side. Remains of chalk drawings were shown on the driveways as the children became bored and played basketball instead. I turned the corner and waiting at a stop sign waiting for a car to drive by and I saw girls from my school. Talking as they walked down the path laughing and texting, they didn't look my way.

I paused at the end of the long driveway before making my way up. I could see the leaves slowly falling to the ground making a carpet of colors laid out before me to walk on. With huge trees placed all along either side of the driveway created a ceiling of branches. As I reached the top of the drive way to stopped once more. Glancing upward at the massive house before me. The white trimmed windows were all closed. The pale roof was covered with leaves and pine needles from the surrounding trees The dark blue siding made the white windows pop. The garage was off to the side and the remains of a garden surrounds it. It was beautiful.

I walked up the steps and stopped for a final time at the black door. Taking my house key from my bag I slowly unlocked the big silver lock. I left my shoes and coat at the front and my lunchbox in the kitchen as I walked up the stairs. I passed doors until I found the one I wanted, the door to my room. Opening the door I saw the familiar spaces of my room. The pale blue window seat in the corner, my tall white bookcase, the two white doors to my closet, the sandy colored walls of my room. In the corner lay my bed with my patterned bedspread do waves, my built-ins around my bed lay covered with glass jars of shells. The shells from my last family trip.

Tucking my head behind my ear I grabbed a few books and games from my closet and shoved them into another bag. I retraced my steps and ended up in the kitchen. Taking a few cookies I made yesterday and placing them in a Tupperware before putting them in my bag. I used the back door and entered our huge garage. With two cars waiting in the garage and another two at work with my parents there was still plenty of room for me to get my bike. Grabbing my helmet I hopped onto the bike and started to pedal out of there.

With my short hair blowing in the wind I felt free. My green eyes wide with excitement as I peddled faster. For once I felt care free. Until I reached my destination. The hospital. I locked my bike on the bike rack before walking through the two automatic sliding doors. Not even going to he receptionist I walked straight to the child ward. Opening the door of room 369 I saw what I came looking for. My little brother.

He lay asleep in the hospital bed. His green eyes closed and his stuffed animal of a monkey in his little arms. I held back tears as I sat next to him in the big comfy chair. He shifted as I unzipped my bag. I stayed still, afraid I woke him up. He just rolled over, his monkey falling out of bed. I reached over and grabbed it, placing it back in his arms. I pulled out my math homework and got to work. But after working for about a half hour he woke up.

"Fey?" He mumbled as he rubbed his eyes.

"I'm here Monkey."I replied softly.

"Hi."

"Hi." I said trying not to giggle.

"Did you bring toys today?"

"I did! How about we play connect four?"

"Yes!"

We spend the next twenty minutes playing, giggling when we would forget to close the bottom and the piece would fall right through. Every time it was his turn he would scrunch up his forehead to think and press his lips together. Then his eyes would light up as he won. After we eat the cookies I brought, the hospital food is horrible, he asked me a question.

"Fey, when Grandpa died did it hurt him?"

"No, it didn't."

"Okay, I don't want it to hurt if I go."

I felt my throat close, holding back tears I held him close to my body.

"Leo, do you know why you were names Leopold.?

"Because mom and dad wanted to name me something weird?"

"No, because it means brave. And I know you are brave. I see you everyday after your treatments and you still manage to put a smile on your face. Or what about the operations, I know you were scared but you overcame you fear. You were brave. Or how about when you tell the nurses it doesn't hurt but I know it does. Leo, you are brave. You will overcome this."

"Do you really think so?" He asked me as he raised his head and looked up with sad eyes.

" I know so." I replied with confidence.

"Thanks."

We sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes before he asked if I wanted to watch SpongeBob. We watched an episode before he asked a few more questions.

"Fey?"

"Yeah"

"I'm scared for tomorrow."

"The operation will go fine, don't you worry. Once you're done we'll all be waiting for you. Maybe I'll even be able to bring some more cookies in!"

"Do you promis? The cookies here are really gross!"

"I pinky swear!"

"Mmmm, I can't wait! I have another question, why were you named Fey?"

"Because it means faith in Spanish and Mommy and Daddy just got home from visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Mexico when I was born."

"Oh, okay. When will Mommy and Daddy get here?"

"I don't know Monkey, they'll probably be here soon."

An hour later our parents showed up. At least they brought pizza! We all ate together and watched Toy Story 3. Leo fell asleep as soon as the movie finished. A nurse brought in two three beds for my parents and I to sleep in but I just fell asleep in the chair. The last thing I saw before drifting of into dream land was Leo's face. Its hard being a good sister. But even harder when your brother has leukemia, I'm not sure how the operation will go. I'm not sure how his life will go, I'm worried. The doctor says that he doesn't have much of a chance. Sometimes you just have to go on with what's happening, but still hold on to those good memories. Like our last vacation all as a family. The last vacation before everything changed.