chapter 2

Zelda’s POV

            Dark clouds swirled above me as I stood on the blood soaked grass. The sky was an eerie crimson color and I shivered uncontrollably. I lifted my hands to my mouth but dropped them immediately when I saw the blood dripping down them. A tall man in black robes stood across from me, his red hair flowing around his head. I couldn’t see his face. The golden Triforce of legend floated above his outstretched palm.

            “Prepare yourself, princess… your death will be the first of many.” He growled in a deep voice.

            Terror crept through me as he sneered, long yellow fangs protruding from his lips. He lifted his other hand and pointed a thick grey finger at me. Pain shot through me as he clenched his fist, making me cry out. His laughter echoed the empty space around us and was the only sound beside my agonized screams.

            “AGH!” I screamed as I jumped up from bed, sweat formed on my shivering skin, causing my nightgown to stick to my body.

            Link burst through the door, “Princess? What happened?”  His hand rested on the handle of his blade as he looked around my room, his guard never failing.

            “I-It’s nothing, Link.” I stammered, “Just a dream…”

            “Are you all right?” Link asked, looking genuinely concerned.

            I took a deep breath, exhaling slowly while trying to calm myself. I just couldn’t stop shaking, I could feel the chill right down to my heart, “I’m… not sure.”

            He sighed and walked over to the edge of my bed, “What did you see?”

            “Darkness… blood… and a man in black robes. He attacked me with some sort of magic and said… that my death would be the first of many.”

            Link’s expression turned from concern to confusion, “Nothing else?”

            “He had the Triforce.”

            Link’s eyes widened slightly, “Perhaps we should tell your father about this?”

            “Why? He never pays much attention to my dreams, even when they show something important.”

            I sighed and hugged myself slightly, rubbing my arms to help remove the goose bumps that had formed on my skin. Link looked at the ground before sitting on a chair that rested beside my bed, “Is it all right if I stay with you? To make sure you’re okay?”

            I glanced at him, his eyes were cold but there was still a hint of the caring boy inside that seeped through the deep blue, “I… I suppose it wouldn’t hurt…”

            He smiled softly before saying, “Try to get some sleep. I’ll be right here if you need me… just remember that.”

            I could only look at him, lost in his eyes. It bothered me how hard he was to read. I was always able to see right through people, but Link was a different story. He cocked his head slightly, “Princess? Are you sure you’re okay?”

            I jumped as the sound of his voice hit my ears, “Oh! Um, yes, sorry about that… just lost in thought I guess.” I replied quickly, but he wasn’t buying it.

            “Just try to rest for a while longer; there may be several hours until morning.” He said as he looked out my window.

            I nodded and laid back down against the sheets, letting the cool cloth put my nerves at ease. My heart started to slow down as I gave in to the sleep that pulled at me, “Link? Thank you for staying.”