The Girl with the Polka Dot Wellies

No one ever noticed her, who would? She wasn't particularly pretty, nor funny or clever like some of the other girls. In fact the only really noticeable aspect of her personality was was the bright pink polka dot wellies she wore every day when it would rain. Until one day she didn't.

No one knew why but they wanted to ask. She had wore them since she started school so to see her turn up with plain black school boots as her mother pulled her by the coat sleeve to join the rest of her class was a shock. The whole class had abstained from asking about her pink wellies and were thoroughly disappointed as they watched their classmate quickly leave through the gates.

It wasn't until Monday morning the next week when Damian Johnson ran into the class, panting and out of breath to state that he saw another girl wearing their classmates pink wellies. Outraged the class were restless the whole day and when the bell rang signalling the end of school, they all went together to visit the thief.

Despite their numbers, the group were not particularly intimidating (they were only 9 after all!!) and when they confronted the thief were surprised when the broke down crying, their face going an ugly, splotchy red. The crying girl explained through sobs, that the two girls mums were friends but her dad had died just last year in a car accident and they were struggling for money do couldn't afford any new shoes this year for the winter. The wee girl had been quick to offer her polka dot wellies as she new her friend had always admired them.

The class were truly ashamed and apologised profusely before checking the girl was alright and wishing her the best. On the way home, the class discussed how they could possibly help without being rude about it, and came to the conclusion that they could do a bake sale and donate the money to charity. (After buying their friend new polka dot wellies, of course!!)

𝔸𝕦𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕣𝕤 𝕟𝕠𝕥𝕖
Always give to those most in need. You will never know everybody's situation so do what you can to make those suffering feel like there is still good in the world.