Chapter 3

(Mel's POV)

I awoke, nauseous and dizzy under unfamiliar sheets. Gently, I removed my arms from around the man I had been holding in the bed, and I hid my nudity under the extra blanket. I have a feeling that I knew what had happened last night, but I didn't want to admit it.

I reached for the cellphone from his side of the bed and put the number into mine. I withdrew a bright red tube of lipstick and exchanged my number with him on the inside of his arm. I've never done something like this before, and I didn't want to be there to face him when he woke up, so I collected my stuff, took a quick shower, dressed, and silently tip-toed to the door.

I'm so sorry, I thought, as I crossed the threshold into the outside world. Please... Call me. Tell me it will all be alright.

It wasn't long until I found myself at home again, my drinking sickness extenuated by the walk, but not completely cured. With an aspirin and a bottle of water downed in what felt like a few seconds, I checked my phone to see if he had woken up yet. I was greeted by 12 messages, all of them by the girls. The gravity of last night hit me; I had left them behind and would have to bear the consequences.

"Hey, Mel, it's Lauren. You know, one of your so-called friends you ditched yesterday to hang out with Mr. Brown-Eyes. Hope you have a good time, because we sure as hell aren't. Call me back when you get this. Or not; I really don't care at this point. Bye."

This is not good at all, I thought, dialing Lauren's number. "Hey, Lauren... I'm sorry about last night; I wasn't thinking. Can you forgive me?"

"Of course, you sexy bitch! Everyone gets one free pass and this was yours, so don't do it again. Sorry 'bout the message, though. We all went back home and got wasted, and I might have said a few things I'm not proud of... But how was the date with that hot piece of ass last night?"

Of course, she bounced right back to her great mood again; one of her best characteristics. I no longer felt bad about leaving them behind, but the back of my mind was still focusing on Daniel. How long can he possibly sleep for? "Uhm... It was fine. We had a few drinks."

"A few drinks! Haha, you didn't sleep with him did, you?"

I hesitated for a second. "No," I replied, thinking she would never find out otherwise. I immediately regretted this decision.

"Oh well. Hey, we're all getting together tomorrow. Is there any chance you could join us? Without leaving with a boy, of course!"

"Yeah. Text me where we're going to; I've got some errands to run. Talk to you then!"

I hung up without waiting for a response. I couldn't bear to hear another word from her. She was always so calm and so sure of herself, which I could not deal with in the twisted anguish while I waited for Daniel's call.

Days went by without so much as a word from him. Soon enough, a week had passed, and I could not get him out of my mind. I spent less time with my friends, and more time by myself, just so I could think about him without interruption. My heart ached from the agony of unfulfilled possibility; could he be the one, that very one who is perfect for us, that managed such an easy escape? If I hadn't left him so quickly and if I wasn't so ashamed of my actions, maybe we would be together again today. I thought more than once about calling him instead, but hung up quickly before the phone connected; I couldn't call him, not if he didn't want to talk to me. Another week passed, and still no call. Almost a month of waiting, and nothing to show for it but a tear-stained pillow and a sickness in the pit of my stomach that I could not force away.

The misery of the affair was enough to keep me from keeping track of the one thing I should have been watching. Not once, in the whole month, did I notice I was late.

I was suddenly very worried.