Part 4

"So," said Luca, tapping her on the shoulder. "Uh, tell me something about you?"
Hana swivelled on her chair and came round to face him. She had no idea what to say. No one had ever been interested in her before. "Um...I like uh...music." Her words jumbled up and all the letters got mixed up inside her head. It was hopeless trying to seem normal. "I can't speak today. I'm so hopeless".
Luca laughed and shook his head. "We're not very good at this whole getting to know each other business are we?" Hana shook her head. "No, we're not" certain this conversation wasn't getting anywhere but she was trying anyway. "So where did you move here from?"
"Oh I've lived here for a while but I was home-educated"
"Cool! So was I! I only did it for two years but I really liked it. I wanted to do it until I moved out but my Mum and Dad didn't have time to teach me anymore and we couldn't afford a tutor." Hana was delighted that she and Luca had so much in common. "Well that makes two of us" he said.
"What about Bethan? Wasn't she-"
"No, she had friends at school and refused to stay home with Mum." He gradually trailed off. "She...doesn't like...Mum". His eyes went to the floor.
"Oh" was all Hana could say. Her fingers twitched and she couldn't sit still. She couldn't see how this could get any more awkward.
So that was the family problem Owen had mentioned. No wonder they were so shy.
Owen and Bethan returned to join the pair. "So we've come up with a few suggestions" he announced, scratching his head. "We've got Charles II, Henry I and Mary I". Luca refused to look up but said "let's vote. I vote we do Charles II"
"Me too" Hana joined in, desperate to copy Luca. Owen winked at her. Hana gave him a look saying "shut up or I'll kill you". Owen laughed. He could see they were getting along.
"So we've got that sorted. Who's house are we gonna go to? I'm free tonight but my house is being refurbished" Owen said.
"We've got no plans and no parents. They're away this week" said Bethan, who was finally talking. "But our house is such a mess, literally, you can't even walk in the door"
Hana looked to Luca for confirmation. He nodded.
Hana looked around. "Wait. That means you all have to come to mine".
They all nodded. "So...can we?" asked Owen.
Hana thought about it. Her parents were gonna be back late, they should be gone by the time they were done. But what if they had cancelled their plans? She would be in so much trouble for inviting three people without permission.
So much trouble...
Hana scanned back through all her punishments. And their scars. She rubbed her hand on her wrist and looked down. The bruise was still there from the time she spilt boiling water all over her Mother's arm.
"Hana?" Luca touched her arm. She winced. Hana couldn't believe it still hurt.
"You okay?" She looked up to Luca. "Yeah. I'm fine". She really wanted to spend time with Owen and Luca, but couldn't risk the punishment if her parents found out.
"Uh, yeah sure. You can come".