Ch. 21 (Kate)

Carter arrived late Thursday night - in the middle of the night to be more precise. He texted to let me know he had landed safely and was heading to his apartment. We had plans to hang out on Friday, get brunch with his parents who were in town on Saturday before he hangs with his roommates that night, and then we are heading out of town for a 2 day getaway on Sunday.

I can't even begin to explain all of the emotions I'm feeling right now. Excitement, nervousness, anxiety, fear, and more that I can't even put a name to. It's an emotional rollercoaster over here. One minute I'm so giddy that I'm going to spend so many days with Carter, getting to know him. The more I learn about him and the more I talk to him, the more interested I am. Then, I get nervous because that's a lot of time to spend with someone you hardly remember. What if our little trip away is disastrous? What if we have nothing to talk about and it's an extremely awkward 48 hours? I usually talk myself down at this point by thinking about how it could possibly end up being the best 48 hours of my life. What if it's amazing and Carter is all that and more? All of this would be enough to keep me up at night, but then add in meeting Carter's parents for the first time and my nerves are shot. And I'm not talking about meeting them for the first time to my knowledge. I mean, ever. Carter and I just started dating last summer and he's originally from South Carolina so I've never met his parents. Meeting your boyfriend's parents for the first time is already nerve wracking, but add in that you hardly remember their son cause of a little bout of amnesia and it's going to be a brunch to remember. No pun intended.

On Friday morning, I don't call or text Carter. He got in so late and is probably jetlagged so I decide to just let him call me when he wakes up. I catch Sarah in the kitchen before her morning class.

"Ready for your Carter filled next few days?"

"Yeah! I mean...I think so."

"Nervous?"

"What gave you that idea? The fact that I'm spending most of the next 4 to 5 days with my boyfriend I'm still getting to know? Or that I'm meeting his parents tomorrow?" I say sarcastically.

"You'll be fine. You and Carter seem to be hitting it off and I bet you're going to have a lot of fun. And if you don't then at least you know Carter may not be the one for you."

"Right, so easy," I say rolling my eyes. "Any advice for the parents?"

"Just be yourself. You're naturally likeable. I'm sure they'll love you," she gave me a friendly smile and put her juice glass in the dishwasher.

"I gotta go, but enjoy your day with Carter and I'll see you tonight. We can debrief then and strategize for brunch tomorrow!"

"Alright, see you later," I give her a small wave as she leaves.

****

Carter calls me a little before noon.

"Hey, sleepyhead."

"Hi, sorry I slept in. I could not get up," he still sounds tired.

"No problem, I figured you needed the rest. You must be exhausted from the flight and jet lag."

"A little, but the only way to get over it is to keep busy."

"So what'd you want to do today?"

"I was thinking we could do some shopping? Maybe buy some new things for our little trip?"

"Shopping is always fun," I say smiling. "When are you going to tell me where we're going exactly?"

"I'll tell you later today so you can shop accordingly."