Chicken Soup for the Teenage Freak-Show Soul

I lean back -expecting Spencer’s body- but fall into the matress instead.My eyes flutter open in the moment of suprise.

“okay there,sleeping beauty?”Spencer asks from across the room

I prop myself up, still half asleep.

“It’s late” I  state; noticing the light streaming in from the window and gliding up the hardwood floor. “How is ‘Kota letting me stay in this late?” i ask groggily

“No one’s leaving the house today.Dakota’s Orders.Too much Regiment scrum in town, probably looking for all the guys we took care of yesterday.”

“.k”

“Oh. and Dakota wants your help with med. as soon as you’re up.We gotta a lot of hurt guys downstairs and need as much help as we can get.All our medical are run ragged.”

“...and ‘kota wants me to see what my actions did personally” i add quietly

“yah..sorry kid” he replies weakly

I pull off the blanket and get up.

Spencer tosses me some clean clothes and i pull them on.

“You missed breakfast.But trust me it wasnt anything good, let alone edible.We’re runnin’ low on everything lately.Probably why you went on a pick yesterday i reckon-tryin’ to scavenger town for supplies”

I tighten.

“Oh..sorry kid” he rubs the back of his neck “Sore subject”

“It’s fine.I need to stop getting so sensitive.”

"You feel differently than Dakota does.Doesn't mean you have to quit living that way.”he looks back at what he said and laughs.Probably noticing how pansey it sounded, like out of some “Chicken Soup for the Teenage Freak-Show Soul” book.

I can just picture it.

Chapter 5 of Chicken Soup for the Teenage Freak-Show Soul

        Just because you feel in different ways than those around you doesn't mean you're getting soft.We all feel differently.We all heal differently too.Come on.Say it aloud.Hearing yourself say it aloud will help you believe it- no, Embrace it.You all deserve to heal.

        I laugh and head down the stairs behind Spencer.

        My grin fades as i see what's lying on the dining room table- a body.