The Review

Because they had each spent countless hours guarding every nook and cranny of the palace grounds, the guardsmen felt that they were accustomed to the king's extravagant taste. Though Lannion, Adrien, and Wesley had all guarded the throne room from the outside, none had ever been within, and the beauty of the space shocked them.

            It seemed that the space in itself was a work of art. The green-toned mosaics on the floor were inlaid with gold. Sweeping latticed windows hid behind luxurious silk curtains. All the walls were covered in delicate frescoes with painted frames-- even the domed ceiling featured a life like painting of a blue sky with a smattering of clouds. The effect made it seem like the throne room was an open space, one with the heavens above. Sunlight filtering through the oculus of the dome added to the effect.

            The three guardsmen were snapped out of their state of admiration by the crisp blast of the trumpeter announcing the arrival of King Henry and his queen, Charlotte. Lannion, Adrien, and Wesley all sank to their knees. Adrien tilted his head a fraction of an inch to glance at the nobility while still maintaining his genuflection.

            King Henry was deep in conversation with Commander Hershe. His opulent dress reflected his larger-than-life personality—his entire outfit was trimmed with jewels. On his arm was his beautiful Charlotte, a vision in ivory silk, strings of pearls, and light brown curls. He was a young ruler—not much older than Adrien himself—and what he lacked in experience he made up for in looks, extravagance and personality. Adrien had often overhead the king's boisterous voice while he was on duty, and he was unsurprised to hear it now.

            "Assassins in my woods? Impossible! Didn't you send a task force to eliminate such threats last year?" the king boomed. He sat back on the velvet seat of his gilded throne and motioned to the guardsmen, allowing them to stand in his presence.

            "That's the thing, Your Majesty," said Herche, his patience wearing thin. "The threats always come back."

            "Impossible! My people love me!"

            "With all due respect, Your Majesty, no king is ever loved by every single one of his subjects. Not you, not your father, nor your father's father."

            The king's stately demeanor was marred by an angry sneer. Queen Charlotte, who had henceforth been listening in silence, stepped in to appease her husband.

            "He's right, Your Majesty," the queen intervened. "Though I'm sure you are the most popular of kings in recent times, isn't that right, Commander?"

            Hershe nodded in agreement. The queen's compliment soothed the king's injured ego.

            "Of course, of course," said King Henry. "Now, for future attacks, what is the plan?"

"I'll leave this explanation to Lannion," said Hershe, "for it was he who came up with the idea."

"Ah, Sir Lannion!" the king cried, clasping his hands together in excitement. Lannion was a model soldier—having fought with honor in many skirmishes before becoming a guardsman—and his battle instincts, dedication, and reliability made him known by the king. Having Lannion speak on his behalf was a clever move by Commander Hershe. It nearly guaranteed the king's cooperation.

Lannion nodded in appreciation and began to speak. "We plan to keep the same arrangements as usual—guards working together in groups of three with rotating positions and obligations. However, we will institute a new position of additional covert guards in the West Quadrant. It is a stronghold of thieves, black market outposts, and other assorted criminals. My comrades, Adrien and Wesley, and I were delayed there yesterday, and I spent a few hours in a local pub. I must've heard over a dozen murder plots while I was there. If we keep a closer eye on the West Quadrant, we should be able to subdue threats against Your Majesties before they become active. My fellow guardsmen and I strongly believe that this course of action will decrease crime in the city by tenfold."

It was classic Lannion, always humble and matter-of-fact, but just passionate enough to convince the king of his sincerity.  He stepped back into line with Adrien and Wesley, and together with Hershe, the guardsmen awaited the king's response.

The king barely had to think about the matter. "Excellent," he announced. "Excellent as usual, good soldier. Set this plan into action immediately. You are dismissed."

The guardsmen bowed and took their leave.

The white doors of the throne room closed behind them and the men returned to their posts at the opening gates of the palace complex. The metal gates were tall and geometric, twisted into diamond designs with spiraled points at the peaks. Adrien and Lannion stood at either side of the gates, with Wesley pacing back in forth between the two, in perfect formation.

"That was a good sell back there, Lannion," said Adrien. Technically, the guards were supposed to be stoic and silent while on duty, but the rule was rarely obeyed. "You should quit guarding and go into business in the East Quadrant."

Lannion smiled. "As if. The East is as crazy as the West. Not for me."

"You could always retire as a quiet southern farmer," suggested Wesley as he paced past his post. "I'm sure my folks could set you up with some land."

"Where is this notion of my retirement coming from?"

Wesley broke formation to pat Lannion consolingly on the shoulder. "Well, Lannion, you are getting up there in years. Hate to break it to you, but thirty's practically ancient."

"Just watch. In a few years you'll be as spry as my grandmother, may she rest in peace," added Adrien.

"You two are full of it," said Lannion. "And Adrien, you're no new recruit yourself."

"Five years this coming month. For us old folk the years just fly by!"

"Get back to your posts." Lannion had tired of the jokes. "We're on duty."

Adrien stepped to his side of the gate and Wesley slumped back into his well-tread pace.

"Yes, grandfather," he grumbled.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," sighed Wesley. As he marched past the opposite side of the gate, Adrien gave him a wink.