Chapter Sixteen

Patrick stared back at me through the screen on my iPhone, his tired but clearly amused face was irking me as I told him about my run-in with Maritza that morning.

"It's not funny," I snapped.

The connection stuttered a bit and froze as he moved around. "Kitten, it's not the end of the world, she's always mad at him as it is. I don't think adding you to her shit list makes any difference," he replied with a smirk.

That's not the point! "I'm not worried about Maritza, I'm worried that she's going to talk to her mother and once I go back to Queens, I'm going to have a very mad wife on my doorstep with a shotgun."

"They're separated," he offered with a shrug, the smirk still there as he tried not to blatantly laugh. "Jon's dated before, it's not like it's anything new to either of them. I think you're paranoid."

I rolled my eyes and leaned back against the bathroom counter. I was locked in the women's washroom on the ground floor since I tried to avoid being alone with Jon, my embarrassment hadn't gone away, and I felt incredibly guilty about the whole thing. "If you found out your mother was seeing a man younger than you, how would you feel?"

He snorted with surprised laughter and took a while to respond. "My mother is a sixty-year-old lesbian, I would immediately assume that she had severe dementia and move her into my apartment," he replied after taking a sip of his water. He settled down onto his bed and I watched him flick several of the lights out. "However, if I woke up and found out my mother was dating a woman that was thirty-five? I would probably think 'damn, good for her', I'd also worry that her new girlfriend was a gold-digger, but I think that just comes with the territory."

"That's just as bad," I grumbled to myself. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as I stared at the metal doors to the stalls, one light above me was flickering and it wasn't helping my budding migraine.

"I have to go, baby, I'm dead tired. Email or text me and I'll see if I can try to Skype you again tonight, okay?" Patrick asked after a long yawn.

Butterflies swirled in my stomach as I watched him rub his face sleepily. "Okay, goodnight."

"Goodnight, I love you."

My response was instant, "I love you, too." I almost whispered it while I watched him settle in, just as he registered what I said he sat bolt upright and stared at the screen with wide eyes.

"Come again?"

I smirked as I watched him gape in shock before his expression morphed into that of wonder. "Sorry, I think I'm losing my signal – sleep well!" I waved, hit the end button and giggled as I watched his number flash across my screen again. I hit ignore without a second thought and turned to fix my makeup. My phone vibrated and I glanced down to see a text from him.

11:29 AM Pat

I can't wait to hear that in person. I love you, Dia. And because you ignored my call, I'll make sure Jon works you over with the crop – have a good day.

My cheeks burned as I stared down at the messaged, I wanted to tell him in person first, but that was as good of a time as any. Why did he call me Dia? Only my close friends did that, and even then, it was mostly just Allie. Where did he even hear that? Whatever. I pushed the thought away and went back to touching up my deep burgundy lipstick. I tried to make myself look older today, dark silvers and grays around my eyes, swooping pitch-black eyeliner, and a dramatic lip. My outfit matched my attitude, a dark green velvet skater dress, with a plunging V neckline, mostly sheer black tights, and black platform Louboutin's. I fluffed my curls a bit before taking a deep breath and grabbing the folio beside me.