31 | Lead The Way, Jayce Mirella

Chapter Thirty-One
Jayce Mirella

"Holy shit," I whisper.

After approximately a week of waiting, forensics sent back over the flash drive confirming that the blood is Keagan Quinces along with the proper documentation that forensics analyzed and scanned the blood appropriately. As soon as we received the flash drive back, Rhys popped it into his Apple computer. What we didn't expect to see is a file filled with documentation showing hundreds of thousands of dollars leaving the company account and going into a private bank account.

"Embezzlement," Rhys says aloud. I nod in agreement.

If what I'm thinking is correct, Keagan knew that Ian was embezzling money and he was about to spill Ian's little secret, before he could do so Ian sent Vincent over to kill him to protect his reputation, his 'good' name, and himself at all cost. Delilah must've been a factor Vincent neglected too consider but to fix his mistake, he ended up killing her too.

"You're piecing it together aren't you?" Rhys looks up at me from his seat.

"You too?" I ask.

He nods in response, licking his lips as he looks back at his computer screen. "I still can't believe that Ian has something to do with this. I also can't believe that Dimitri was decently close with both Ian and Vincent, then again he probably has no idea."

"Not just has something to do with this, he is the criminal here. Embezzlement, murder. Ian's ass is grass." I scoffed.

I'm still trying to register how something like this managed to occur under Rhys's nose, then again it's not like you'd assume that your boss is a murderer nor that he was doing illegal things unless you had a direct grudge against him.

"What now?" I look down at Rhys.

"What we have now is a flash drive containing documents proving embezzlement of company funds going directly into a private account but the documents don't state who's private account so we can't attach it to Ian. We also have suspicious emails from Keagan to Ian as well as emails going back and forth from Vincent to Ian and an email receipt of a pack of four chef knives." Rhys reclines in his seat, peering up at me. "You know what's crazy though?"

Dread, that's what I'm feeling from his tone of voice. "What?"

"We can paint a picture with all of that evidence but we need something to laminate the finished product, solid evidence that points to Vincent." Rhys runs a hand through his hair.

"Just Vincent?"

"Vincent is the one who killed Keagan and Delilah, once we have him we can plug Ian into the equation but we need to focus on Vincent," Rhys explains.

I nod in understanding.

"I'm trying to figure how we're going to do that," Rhys muses.

We begin to think quietly. I stroll over to the bookshelf, allowing my fingers to skim over the binder of the hard copy books. Passing the bookshelf, I circle the office space with my eyes focused on the ceiling. Humming the tune of my father's favorite Bob Marley song — war — a smile begins to appear on my face as I sit on the seat in front of the coffee table.

I pick a black pen off of the coffee table and throw it at an unsuspecting Rhys Chandler who has the fucking reflexes of a damn cat and catches it in his right hand. He sits up in his seat, looking at me with his right eyebrow quirked up in question with the pen still in his hand.

"You said that Vincent and Dimitri had a pretty good relationship right?" I ask him.

"Yeah?" He looks confused.