Solemn Looks

A/N - Hello internet, oh how I've missed you! So in case you guys were wondering about the lack of updates it was not in fact that I've moved on from this story but the fact that I've literally been stranded (not actually) in the rocky mountains since Christmas with almost zero wifi... but I'm back! Yay! And the updates should continue as they normally do now :) 

Autumn's POV 

        I stumbled backwards, my legs began to shake. Two of my best friends, two of them are going to die. Alby's hurt and Minho may be a good Runner but I doubt he can survive a night with the Greievers...And Thomas, dumb shuck. I was beginning to like him....This sucks. Majorly sucktastic. I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist and pull me backwards. It's a very good thing Newt has better balance then me because if it weren't for him I probably would have fallen back and cracked my skull open. My vision blurred, all shapes and colours melded into one giant fishbowl of light, but I wouldn't let the tears fall. That would be admitting they were gone. I had to keep some hope, even if it was just the slightest glimmer of light. I had to. 

        I spun around in Newt's arms and pulled him into a hug. He returned it, squishing me into his chest and holding me there. When I closed my eyes I felt the water escape and slide down my cheek, connecting every freckle like a constellation. I heard the shuffling of bodies as the other Gladers solemnly dispersed, until we were the only two standing by the door. No one would interrupt us. No one would tease us... I squeezed my eyes shut tighter, trying to block out the thoughts. There is no way on this earth I would let myself fall down that never ending black hole. I will not do it. I refuse. 

        I pulled away from Newt and put my hand in his. 

"Food." Neither of us had eaten. We had stood by the Doors and waiting anxiously the entire time. Newt nodded, a deep sadness seemed to be etched into every line and crease on his face. Even his eyes seemed dull. I imagined that my face was mirroring his exact expression. It was one of bottled up grief and sadness, it was a look that only came when you are tough, when you refuse to cry. Dead behind the eyes they call it. 

        The night was torture. The Glade was so quiet it could have easily been mistaken for a ghost town. No one was talking, no one dared. I assumed everyone lay on their backs, eyes open, their hearts greiving. It was a terrible thing, especially when they were so close. They were literally metres away from safety, but we were too slow, we didn't help. We didn't help them... didn't help them... 

        Thoughts of guilt and pain and horrible memories haunted my dreams the entire night. I would wake up in a cold sweat, drift off to sleep and repeat the entire process again and again and again. Everything sucked. 

Minho's POV 

                "We have to split up—it's our only chance! Just keep moving. Don't stop moving!" I yelled at Thomas. The shuckface Greenie doesn't stand a chance, idiot. He could have been inside those walls all safe and sound but nooooo, he just had to come out and see what the Maze is like for himself. Shucking slinthead. 

        Maybe I stood a chance, just maybe. I knew the Maze like the back of my hand, every route, every wall change, I had it all memorized. And I can run. But can I outrun a Greiver... I don't exactly want to stick around to find out though. I'd rather keep all my limbs thank you very much. 

        I disappeared around another corner, my body swallowed whole by the darkness. My breaths were calm and steady, however I doubted that they'd stay that way for long. With each step I took it was like my brain was rearranging itself into survival mode, battle mode if you will. I began thinking about the best way to survive. I could try to outrun them...Autumn did, but then again the sun rose a lot faster for her than it's gonna for me. Also they've been really shucked up lately, I'd better not risk it. I could hide...but where? The ivy might trick them for a while...but they've got those shucking lights on them... So far outrunning seemed to be the best option, and even that one sucked majorly. 

        "Shuck," I mumbled under my breath. This is not the spectacular death I was hoping for! I continued running, my breaths became heavier and my muscles complained. I had already ran today...and dragged Alby through the Maze. I was exhausted. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

        I ran for what felt like hours, surely the sun can come up now... I was about to bolt through another corridor when I heard it. 

Whirrrrrrrrr

Click-click-click 

        I saw colourful lights making shadows dance on the wall in front of me. I heard the ear splitting sound of the Greiver's metal appendages cutting and scraping the stone, these sounds were mixed with a strange sort of slurping noise that I didn't even want to begin to imagine. I flung my body against the wall, trying to disappear within the ivy. Maybe it won't see me. Maybe I won't die. Nah... I inched along the wall, back pressed against the cool stone, my hands pulling the ivy to the sides. I crept in this fashion until I could just see around the corner. 

        I regretted sticking my head out the second after it happened. I got a real good look at the shuck monster about to murder me...too good of a look actually. The Griever's skin was like a pulsating, blubber-y blob of goop, with metal limbs crudely melded with with the flesh. It sent shivers down my spine. Of course, I looked again. 

        This time I noticed it wasn't coming towards me... strange. It was going for Thomas! I watched as its lights flashed and then fixed on him. It illuminated his face, it looked gaunt and chiseled in the strange light. The sweat shone like reflective tape...nice. Then it charged. Rolled its body up and shot at Thomas, it moved faster than I would have thought possible for a creature of its size. But it did it anyways. Fine then Griever, don't follow the rules of physics! 

        I closed one eye, not really wanting to see the shank, well shanked, but not really wanting to look away from Thomas either. Then something happened.... Thomas dove. It sent the Griever flying and Thomas ran. I waited until he was close enough to me and pulled him over to where I was. 

        "What —" 

"Shut up, and follow me!"  I yelled at him. I had an idea... 

A/N - So guys I was snowboarding and now I'm bruised because this guy cut me off so I was like fine I'll cut you off too and I sped up because I'm a competative human and then I almost got past the guy and a surprise rock pops out of the ground and I turn to avoid it and catch an edge and faceplant...resulting in a brusied side and snow up my nose... 

(although I'm actually a pretty good snowboarder please believe me)