Free Elf

The few final weeks of the year seemed to blow past as everyone was on the edge of their seats after the last attack.  It never felt normal.  Classes felt weird without a certain Gryffindor calling out the answer 20 times, and even her two bodyguards seemed exceptionally down.

Draco kept to himself more, not opening up to anyone about the conversation with Snape or why he was so angry.  He had hung out with the Ravenclaw girl a few more times just in silence.  She reminded him a lot of his mother, and somehow her presence made him feel like someone cared for him.

A few days after finding out Hermionie was petrified, Lucius had oweled him saying that he would be visiting Hogwarts to look into teacher behavior.  Draco showed Blaise and Theo the letter, and they ended up making bets on who it would be.  Blaise had a sickle on Professor Binns, which Draco felt was idiotic considering Binns was dead.  Theo had a sickle on Professor Sprout, only cause he hated Herbology.  Finally, Draco put a galleon on Dumbeldore. He didn't know precisely why, just a feeling.

The bet gave something for everyone to look forward to.  Draco, Blaise, and Theo went around classes boasting about how they hoped certain teachers would be leaving soon.  Though, during Potions, they would always parade the idea that Dumbeldore should be removed as Headmaster and Snape should take his place.  Potter would always turn red with anger, and Snape would hide his smirk.

When Draco's father did come, it came as more of a shock.  He had come after dinner and had immediately walked over to Hagrid's hut.  Draco, Blaise, and Theo had snuck out of the common room to try and watch what was going. Sadly they were caught by Snape and sent back to the dorms after losing 10 points each.

The next morning as Draco left the common room to head to breakfast, his father was stood outside the wall waiting for him. 

"Draco."

Draco's eyes widened, and he immediately made sure his tie was straight and his shirt was neatly tucked.  He had thought his father would have left by now.  It wasn't like him to try and speak with him during the year.

"Yes, Father?"

Lucius motioned him to follow him as he began walking towards Snape's office.  He held the door open for Draco, which shocked him once more, but Draco walked inside without saying a word.  When he turned around, Lucius had closed the door and locked it. 

They stood in silence, just looking at each other for a couple of moments before Lucius cleared his throat.

"Hagrid has been sent to Azkaban, and Dumbeldore has been suspended for the time being.  I just thought you should know from me before the other students start spreading false rumors."

Draco's jaw dropped. Hagrid and Dumbledore gone? He couldn't wait to tell Blaise and Theo (and get two Galleons from them).

"Also, your mother wanted me to give you this," Lucius reached into his pocket and pulled out the box that Narcissa had given him during Christmas last year.  Draco had left the ring at home in fear of losing it or Blaise trying to steal it, so he was confused about why his mother would want him to have it. Lucius handed Draco the box and watched as he put the ring on.

"She wishes you to always keep a part of the Malfoy family with you," Lucius looked like he felt extremely uncomfortable at the cheesy family talk and sighed. "We are planning for another trip to Bulgaria this summer, and you are to come. We will leave the week after you come back,"

Draco looked up at his father and nodded.  He didn't mind where they went, as long as there was no chance of being thrown into a room with angry paintings.

"Well, off you go. I assume you have something to tell Mr.Zambini and Mr.Nott. See you soon," Lucius said, and Draco swore he almost saw a smile come from his father as he turned around, unlocked the door, and left.