Chapter 5

Straight ahead was room 206. The blinds on the window to the hallway were open and I could see her lifeless body before I even walked in. When the reality of what happened actually hit me I was turning the knob to the door. I suddenly felt like I couldn't stand so I sat down in the chair next to the elevator, with my head in my hands. This woman had given birth to me, and raised me, well for the most part, and I almost lost her today. It hit me like a wrecking ball of emotion before I could control it.

Right as I was about to cry, a cold but soft hand clamped down on my shoulder with slight pressure. I glanced up to see it was a very kind looking doctor.

"Hayden Matthews? Daughter of Kimberly Matthews?"

"Thats me..." I trailed off sadly. His gold-brown eyes met mine with understanding.

"Well as you probably saw," he said motioning to the horrid window. " you can see your mother isn't in a very good condition." I nodded my head gently making my blonde waves swish back and forth ever so gently.

There was only one question weighing heavily on my mind and I was scared to ask. Because I was scared of the answer. But I decided to anyway. "Will she die?" I snapped. I didn't mean for it to come out that way, it just did. the doctor looked taken aback by my tone. My eyes instantly widened and I apologized. It is what my mom would want me to do afterall.

"No, however she will be in the I.C.U. For most likely over a month and I doubt she'll be the same even after she's healed. Some of the acids that leaked onto her were radioactive. So if you get a chance to visit her, then stay a safe distance away. And please, please don't touch her" then he gave me a gentle pat on the back and turned to walk away."It truly is a miracle your mother is alive." He quietly added. Then he continued on to go the other direction.

I can't touch her? Does that mean ever again? I really hoped not. I looked for the doctor to call him back but he had already disappeared. I sighed and decide it would be best not to visit her just yet. Maybe wait until the excitement dies down? And I'm late for school anyways. Wait, I don't have my bike! How am I gonna get there?

All of a sudden there was shouting from behind the door next to 206 then it opened with such great force the door handle probably went through the wall. And out of it stormed a very, very angry looking Ryder. What the hell was he doing here? He saw me standing there near tears and his gaze softened for only a millisecond before going back to stone cold. Then he made a sharp turn and kept walking away .

"Ryder!" I called out but he ignored me. I gave a little huff and ran after him. When I finally caught him I poked him on the shoulder to get his attention.

"What?" he spat out while he whirled around. As soon as he did I got caught up in this eyes. I knew this was totally the wrong place at the wrong time but I could help it. " Well- uhm..." why was I so nervous around him? "Ineedaridetoschool" I whisper yelled so fast I could barely hear myself.

"Come again?" he asked, slightly amused. I narrowed my eyes at him and gave a little growl. "You heard me." Now his little smile had turned into a full blown smirk.

"Nope I didn't. Your gonna have to repeat that cupcake." he barely managed to get out because he was trying to hold in his laughter. Then he cupped his hand around his ear and tilted his head toward me.

"I said I need a ride to school you asshole!" his playful act immediately dropped. "If I'm such an asshole get your own fucking ride to school bitch." After that he kept walking away but this time, I didn't stop him.

Well that made me feel even worse AND I don't have a ride to school. I guess the only thing left to do now is start walking and if I'm lucky, catch the bus.

Authors note:
I know this sucks and that I've been gone for like a year and I'm sorry >_< but I hope you like it! ( that is if anyone even cares to still read my story. If anyone still does read this story let me know what you think!