Last Dance

Caterina Mangano smiled politely as her mother continued the lecture. She was dressed up and ready to go to a summer dance with some friends and what she didn't need was her mother telling her things she already knows. Stranger danger. Keep your friends close. She's sixteen, she's not a complete idiot, and besides, she's a Mangano - who'd dare to try something anyway?

"Yes, Mamma. I know, we look after each other. It'll be fine."

"Don't tell me I didn't warn you, girl."

"You believe me, don't you, Frankie?"

Cat spun around to look at her little brother. Well, not so little, perhaps, he did like his food. Besides, she could tell he would grow up to be tall one day, so maybe he would even out a little, and he'd only just celebrated his twelfth birthday a few weeks ago, he was still nothing but a kid. Frankie had always been such a sweet boy, and right now he looked up at her with a look of pure adoration, bless him.

"Of course I do," Frankie replied, always the little gentleman. "And you're beautiful as always."

"Thank you, darlin'," she said, pulling him into a hug, kissing him on top of the head. "I'll see you later, all right? You have a good night."

"I could come with? I've been practicin' my dancin'." He took a few steps, trying to show off for her, of course.

"Not today, Frankie. I adore you, but I'm going with the girls. I'll tell you all about it when I get back home tonight."

"All right."

He was dejected, clearly, but she couldn't bring a twelve-year-old to the dance, it was out of the question. Her friends might find him adorable too, but everyone would laugh at her.

"You come home at nine, and that's final."

"Yes, Papá."

"Have a good evening, beautiful."

"I will." Cat gave her family a bright smile before heading out the front door for the very last time.

***

Someone must have spiked the punch, but she had too much fun to care. The dance was everything she cared about. And the Capresi brothers were cute. She'd danced with Ennio twice already tonight, and loved it. Maybe she even loved him? It would be something to talk to Maria and the girls about later.

***

Cat was still giggly when the girls hit the evening air. It was just before nine, still plenty of light and - oh shoot. Something wasn't right. Stupid shoe, something had got in it. She better sort it in case it was a piece of glass.

"Hey, wait, there's somethin' in my shoe!"

But the girls were too giggly to notice her stopping, bending down and untying her shoe. And then it all went dark.

***

Something wasn't right. Something heavy on her, on top of her. Cat's head was pounding, something warm trickling down her forehead. Breath, stinking. She tried to scream, but nothing came out. Pain. Down there, grabbing. Why? Pain. Panic. Pressure on her throat. Why wouldn't her limbs work? Her arms, no, weighed down, couldn't move them. Everything was blurry. No air. Why was there no air? Why couldn't she breathe? Why was this happening to her?

And then the questions stopped.

***

"Oh fuck!"

He didn't even realise she had died until after he had finished. Well, that's inconvenient. What was he going to do with the body? Leave it where he put it, he supposed. He didn't have the time to try and cover it up too much. Besides, he was shipping out at midnight, so if only he made sure the body wasn't found immediately he would be long gone by the time it would become a problem. No one would ever know he had anything to do with it.

"Not like you're gonna squeal now, doll." Jimmy the Penguin finished putting his pants back on and dragged the body of the young girl in between some bins in the alleyway. "Thank you for the ride. You were great."

The man grinned at his own joke, made it to the end of the alleyway, looked around to see the coast was clear and then slid out, all casual like. He even decided to whistle a little tune. Shame about the girl, but she was so damned fine, he just couldn't help himself. Maybe he had time for another drink before heading back to the docks. It wasn't even ten o'clock.