Chapter 13

(3rd person POV)

(3rd person POV)

For Loki, it had been a peaceful morning.

He was getting better at brewing coffee, and this morning's batch may have been his best yet. Lex made a better breakfast than usual, not that Loki didn't like her food; he understood that she didn't have much to work with. He finally found something to occupy his tired mind in the form of a sketch book and charcoal and he rather enjoyed it.

The sun was out today for the first time in a while. It shone through the only window in Lex's small cabin and illuminated the dust particles floating through the air. If he was in a bad mood, he might've tried to count them, but he felt way too relaxed at the moment to attempt a feat like that.

Yes, it was a beautiful morning.

Even though Loki was grateful for this time of peace and solitude, he found himself already missing Lex's presence.

In the handful of months that he had been there, he grew to enjoy his new housemate very much. There was something about the way she lived as a runaway in seemingly complete serendipity that comforted him. Maybe one day he could find the same, but only after satisfying Thanos. Thanos could not simply be ignored.

Yes, he had grown to care deeply for Lex. And Lex had grown to care deeply for him. They both knew there was something more than friendship going on; a sort of, mutual attraction if you will. But neither one of them made a first move. Things were complicated.

Loki shouldn't have shoved her away so harshly after he kissed her. He knew that, and regrets it still to this day. But he was hesitant to apologize since he was leaving sooner every day and he didn't fancy breaking her heart (and his) more than necessary. No. It was for the best that they remain strictly platonic.

There wasn't much tension running between them any more. The first few days were extremely awkward, but they soon found an unspoken understanding, and fell into a comfortable rut once again.

Loki was gazing out the small window, admiring the way the sun sparkled off the icicles like glass, when he saw Lex's beloved dog bolting towards the house.

'Oh, they must be back already.' He thought.

Koda always reached the cabin first, so it was no surprise when he scratched at the door and howled at the top of his lungs. He didn't bark, Lex said that wolfdogs don't do that, but the continuous loud noise made Loki get up and open the door for the large animal. 

Loki expected Koda to rush in and shake off the snow like he always does, but Koda was acting strangely. He made no move to enter the cabin, and instead looked Loki in the eyes and howled again. 

"Look dog, do you want in, or don't you?" Loki asked him, losing his patience. Koda still wouldn't enter the cabin. Loki stared down at the dog, perplexed by his unusual behavior. "And where's Lex?" She should have caught up by then, yet, Lex was nowhere to be found.