More Than Holding Hands

Chapter Twenty-six

Catherine

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Max screams, running up to Peter after the Snakes have left. "War? Do you know what your sad little ego has signed us up for?"

"Max, there would have been one anyways- this way at least we know about it." His voice is calm, thoughtful, and even with his head turned I know his eyes are a dreamy blue- a sure, satisfied blue.

"Are you listening to what you're saying? War? Do you not understand what you've signed us up for? All of us? You do realize some of us have actual lives outside of your bubble, outside of this place?"

"Max, he's right." I say, joining them, calling the others. The soldiers wait back, settling into tiny groups, deciding amongst their own.

"No, he's not." Lucas says, as we form a circle. "Not just them-" he points to the men behind us, "but we could die too! Life isn't a joke you guys, Oi Alloi taught us that."

"Life isn't a joke, Lucas, which is why we need to get through this- for my parents, for Kabir, for everyone that died."

Ester takes a step ahead, "I'm with Peter. He's my only child- I would never want to lose him, but if I did, I know I would rather have him die in war than getting murdered like a looser." Peter looks at Ester curiously, his eyes turning purple.

Arthur doesn't agree. Neither does Andrew, which is surprising seeing he leads an organization that kills people for a living.

"We only kill people who have done wrong." Max says, reading my mind.

"Stop doing that."
He smirks, but nothing else.

Harry steps up, "I'm with Peter too."

A vote passes around: Oliver, Richard, and William agree with us.

"So, it's decided then?" I ask, "War it is?"

"Come on guys!" Lucas says, exasperated, "we're supposed to be man-kind not man-mad or man-killer!"

"Not yet, Cathy." Peter says, ignoring Lucas and telling me, "There are some more people we need to ask." He opens the circle and steps in front of the soldiers. They seem to know what he is asking for before he even opens his mouth, and they chant, all at once, "War!"

Their faces are beaming. They know what they're getting into- and they're excited.

Just like that, it is decided. Three months from now, we all might die.
But hey, we're lucky- at least we get to choose how.

-

It unanimously decided that we, or rather Andrew, is going to have to explain to the other members of Oi Alloi what has been going on in the backgrounds since the last few years. They deserve to know the truth- and we need more fighters.

The scientists and other men helping out with the weaponry start making blue prints for better models and larger objects. Everyone's given something to do, something to follow.

Andrew and Aunt Eliza had gone through an attack like this when they were just kids. As they remember, and we analyze from the surprise attack, the Snakes pounce on their targets mainly with the help of their tongues, which can cover quite a distance.

They have sharp fingernails- long, sharp fingernails- and can stick to the walls, and even ceilings without hesitation. However, this would not be of any use during our battle because it will be placed on land and surrounded only by grass, mud, perhaps a lonely tree or two.