chapter 31

The golden colour of the maxi I was wearing was way too shiny.

The fabric under my hand was way too silky.

And the wooden stool I had been sitting on in front of a huge mirror was way too stiff.

I inhaled, dragging it for full five seconds but it seemed like there was a shortage of oxygen inside the room. More like a cage.

As mirror was placed beside the window, i could hear the blast of wind outside. Its roar. As it made trees go crazy under much awaited rain.

But this time, it was different.

The storm indicated heavy rainfall. Different kind. The kind that's non stop. Which pours its tears out with you for hours. Engulfs your cries in its own screams.

For the first time, I could understand this side of rain.

And I felt connected with it.

"Look at the mirror." The girl said, pushing my chin upward to get me stop looking at my lap and started dabbing the brush once again.

I looked up to find a stoic figure staring back at me. Too slim after all these days. In the hands of starvation and misery.

Eyes puffed out. Nose red. Lips swollen. I just looked at it.

I don't have to sit here. Be like this. I can get up and run to my home. My family.

What kind of marriage is this?

I don't even understand it. My mind isn't able to comprehend.

I'm still a student here. All alone. Without family.

Is this what I planned to do after coming in US? Far from it.

What's he going to do with me once we are married? Will he just keep me hostage now that he will have all the rights? Or will he just let me go with papa!

What's papa going to think when he gets know that I...

"Hey, stop crying! Its ruining your makeup." The girl scolded me in panic.

I automatically opted to rub my tears off but she grabbed my hand in time and tsked in frustration.

I exhaled and let her lower my hand down. But the erratic breathing picked up their pace making me bite my lip to bury the rising sobs back down.

She huffed out and stepped back without a word, placing the brush beside other scattered items as it made a clicking sound.

Why was she so frustrated with me! It's not like I could control my tears. Lately nothing in my life was in my control.

Sobs came out freely and I buried them in my hands. I just wanted to hide from this world and everything.

"Jesus, no!" She leaped ahead to pry my hands off from my face but I tightened them in shame and started crying uncontrollably.

Door clicked open and it screached out in protest.

The instant goosebumps on my neck indicated who it was but I made no move to turn around.

"She's not letting me to continue the makeup. It's a mess due to all the crying." She complained to the intruder and heavy but precarious thuds of boots resounded against the walls.

Silence stretched leaving the sound of my silent sobs only.

"Go on." A solid controlled voice full of confidence urged the girl to muster up the courage and deal with me again and the thuds of the boots neared the head and stopped and I could hear the low rustle of bed sheet as he sat down.