Chapter Four

Ck

I didn't see her the next day and the day after. Since she stopped coming for walks I thought she might be out of town.

When I called her, her mother told me that she was having a sore throat and a mild fever from the last couple of days.

I decided to visit her in the evening.

The plot size of her bungalow was twice the size of mine. Clearly they had combined two plots into one. The security made me speak to Bhau Patil on the intercom.

"Sayali is sleeping but you can come in".
"Thanks", I replied.

I went past a huge sprawling garden which lead me to the grand living room. Bhau Patil was on a call with someone and was moving in and out of the room while talking. I took a seat and was admiring the interiors when a huge ferocious looking dog walked in towards me. To be honest I was a little scared as he sniffed me all over. Finally he settled and sat down beside me. He even let me pat him and rub his back.

Bhau looked surprised when he found the dog calmly sitting next to me.

"Who let David in", he asked his help.

"This is a fully grown American Pitbull Terrier, one of the most dangerous dogs in the world, capable of taking down any enemy. I know him since he was a pup and he doesn't exactly like strangers and I am amazed how easily he made you his friend".

"He's a good boy, aren't you David," I said rubbing his back again.

"He likes you for sure".

Bhau took me to Sayali's room on the first floor.

Although she looked very happy to see me, she appeared a little gloomy and lost. I could easily say that by looking in those eyes.

"I am glad you made time to see me Ck".

She was in her pajamas and a long t shirt, lying on her bed. I helped her sit and put a pillow behind her back to make her more comfortable.

"Hey, what happened to you"?

"A little cold. Flu like symptoms, but I am better now."

"Okay, nice to hear that", I said pulling a chair.

"I knew you would come".

"I missed you Sayali".

"I missed you too".

"Why are you looking a little down today? Is it just because you are not well or is it something else"?

Before she could reply, her mother Gayatri Patil entered in the room carrying two cups of coffee, some biscuits and toast. She too was tall like Sayali, and had long, beautiful hair. She looked too young to be her mother.

Sayali quickly introduced us.

"She talks about you all the time," her mother said helping me with my coffee.

Just then a thought crept in my mind which made me a little uneasy. How would I address my future mother-in-law? She looked too young. Or worse, how would it look if I had to touch her feet for seeking blessings on the wedding day? I took a deep breath and quickly dismissed those thoughts.

"You look too young to be her mother", I said," you look more like her sister".

"Thanks. Almost everyone who sees us together says that," she replied and went out of the room to get something.

"He is Karan," Sayali showed me a guy's picture on her phone.

"Who is he"?

"My distant aunt's son. They want me to get married to him. He stays in Delhi. He has liked my photographs and is ready for a meeting. Bhau is flying to Delhi tonight to meet his family".

Suddenly I felt as if I was going down a cliff. I was terrified with the thought of losing her. I quickly realised why she was looking so sad.

"Oh, so you are going to..."I couldn't complete my sentence. She was looking straight into my eyes as a little drop of tear came running down her cheek.

I froze in despair. The girl I had only seen laughing until now was crying. Maybe she didn't want to get married again, maybe she didn't like the guy or was it because of me? Did she think we had no chance?

Her mother came back in the room and I left making a hasty excuse.

On my way out I saw Bhau getting into his car.

"Going somewhere," I asked.

"Yes, going to the Airport. Flying to Delhi".

"Have a safe flight Bhau".

"Thanks Ck".