5 - The Road Trip

After the party, Leslie went home without speaking to anyone, even Ann.

-

She woke up on the couch, slightly hungover, with the phone in her pocket buzzing.

The last thing she remembered was coming home and drinking. A lot of drinking.

She looked at the caller ID on her phone. Chris Treager.

She pressed the speaker button.

"Hey! Leslie Knope!" Chris practically yelled.

"Hey...Chris...." Leslie cringed at every loud noise coming out of her phone.

"If you didn't have plans for today, is there any way you could come into City Hall? There's an opening for Pawnee to be the next host of the Indiana Little League. I got an email about it this morning. Is there any way you can get here soon so you can plan a pitch? Also, it might be wise to pack an overnight bag." Chris explained. "I know it's Saturday, so it's fine if you can't make it."

"Yeah, it's ok, I can be there in a couple hours."

"Sounds literally amazing! Try and get here by two."

Leslie hung up the phone, and dragged herself off of the couch.

She checked the time, 9:02 AM. Christ it's too early.

Memories of last night came back and hit her suddenly and like a truck. Ben's arm. 

She packed all of her items necessary for an overnight trip into a duffel bag, took a shower, got ready, and set off to Ann's house.

-

"So, he's your soulmate?" Ann asked, sitting on her couch with her best friend. 'Called it.' She thought.

"He has to be. My name was on his wrist, Ann. I don't know what to do. I want to be with him, but I could get in so much trouble. He could get in so much trouble." Leslie said "I need to stay away from him."

"Do you though?" Ann tried to talk some sense into Leslie. "If he's the one he's worth it."

"But my job." Leslie was torn. "We both love our jobs."

Leslie's phone buzzed.

There was a text notification from Ben.

"Hey, apparently we're going on some sort of road trip together to Indy tonight. Can I count on you to bring some music?" His text read.

She quickly texted back an "ok" and turned towards Ann.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck." Leslie whispered to herself. "Ben and I are going on a work road trip tonight. He just texted me about it."

Ann burst out laughing.

"Sorry, I know, not funny." Ann apologized. "Need help?"

-

The pair put together a very unsexy playlist for the impending road trip, including an audio lesson of Chinese, one hour of terrible banjo, and a romantic song (which Ann snuck in without Leslie noticing).

"Oh Ann, what should I talk about with him? I don't want to be interesting." Leslie asked.

"Oh I know!" Ann answered, getting Leslie exited. "His penis"

"Ann."

-

Leslie quickly arrived at City Hall, barely making it to Chris and Ben's office on time.

"Leslie! Have a seat. I literally thought that you weren't going to make it." Chris greeted her, happy as can be that Leslie showed up for their meeting.