2

Chapter 2

A loud buzzing noise abruptly woke me up from the dream I had been having. I slowly opened my eyes and looked over to my nightstand next to my bed. My phone's green light was blinking along with a very persistent vibrating noise. I quickly glanced over to the clock next to my phone and read the time.

"Are you freaking kidding me?" I groaned loudly. I picked the phone up and turned the screen on. I had three missed calls and five new texts. "Shit." I knew it wouldn't be Gloria because it wasn't even noon yet, she would still be tucked away from the sunlight.

I clicked the talk button and returned the first phone call. A small voice answered the phone. "Hadley? You need to get down here now. You're needed in the conference room." I recognized the other voice to be a maid by the name of Suzie.

"What's wrong?"

"Just get down here now!" Her voice boomed into the receiver. She was never the type to get upset like this so I knew something weird was up.

"Ok, give me five minutes." I didn't wait for her response and hung the phone up. I quickly jumped up and grabbed my jeans that I had been wearing last night and tied my hair tightly into a bun on the top of my head.

"This better be good," I grumbled quietly to myself.

The hallway leading to the small kitchen and conference room was surprisingly empty, usually this time of the day they would have been filled with employees and clients. I made my way to the kitchen, where I was sure Suzie would be. I found her sitting at the little round table in the middle of the small room.

"Hey, I'm here what's up?" I softly laid my hands on her shoulders. She looked up at me slowly and I could instantly tell that she had been crying. "What's wrong?"

She jumped up quickly and started to push me out of the kitchen. She mumbled some words in another language that I couldn't understand. I dug my heels into the floor before she could push me any further out. I turned around and looked at her.

She could tell that I couldn't understand her so she pointed down the hallway and yelled, "Conference." She gave me a dirty look and started to wave her hands in the air frantically. "Damn American!" Her words smacked me in the face.

"Fine, I'm going!" I yelled back at her. I almost wanted to scream at some of these people. I couldn't help the fact that I was in another country and couldn't understand the language very well yet. Gloria never gave me the chance to learn it yet. Such rude people. I wanted to run down the hallway kicking and screaming but instead, I stormed off in a very adult way.

I couldn't hear any voices coming from the conference room which scared me. What in the hell had Suzie so upset? I opened the door very slowly and walked in with caution. The room was dark. A smell immediately filled my senses and made me panic. The smell of blood almost took my breath away as I walked further into the large room. I skimmed the edge of the room until I found the large windows. I pushed the large drapes aside allowing sunshine to flood the room.

I turned around to face the room to try and locate where the smell of blood was coming from.  To my horror, a figure lay askew in the middle of the room. Blood had pooled to the right side of the body. It was a naked woman with long black hair. I moved closer to see if I could make out who it was.

I now stood completely over the woman's body. I bent down slowly, avoiding the blood, and slightly moved some of her hair out of her face. "Goddamnit!"  I whispered quietly to myself. Sofia, the bleeder from last night, just had to be the one.

Panic began to fill me. Vomit immediately hit me. I jumped up quickly and ran to the trashcan near the door. A few minutes of puking went by before I could regain my composure. I leaned back against the cool wall to think about what I was going to do about this mess.