Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Beep-beep-beep. Beepbeep-beep-beep.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Mom, it’s Jason.”

After a few moments of static, she said, “Aw, honey, it’s so good to hear you! How are things going?”

I knew it was coming, and I was stupid if I thought it could be avoided. “I’m-I’m not so great right now.”

“What? Is something wrong? Are the classes too hard or- someone mugged you, didn’t they!” My mom sounded ridiculous, being that I was pretty strong, and campus was always on high-guard. She was thoroughly convinced that New York City is just one big accident waiting to happen. I’m not even sure if she has ever left Texas.

I sighed, “No, nobody mugged me. It’s just that my girlfriend,” no, don’t tell her about Melissa. That woman has enough to worry about without worrying about me dying, too. I can’t put something like that on her, “she got hurt working out, and we’re just worried about her, but she’ll be alright.” I didn’t want to lie to my mom, but I didn’t really have any other options. “How’s Georgia doing?”

“Oh, Jason, the money from that job of yours has been a god send.  We were able to move her to a nicer treatment center, and she’s been getting so much better,” she let out a small laugh, “We think she’s going to make it.”

That made me smile, but it also planted a new found worry. It was great that Georgia was getting better, but it was because of me. It was because of the Underground. Now, with Lux out, I’d have to do her job so that Georgia could keep getting better. I couldn’t quit now. “That’s awesome. Hey, I was thinking about coming down sometime to see you guys sometime.”

She laughed again, “I’d love that, and I think your father and sister would, too. You’re free to come home anytime.”

“How are things going over there?” I asked.

“Oh, well your father’s been working overtime, so we don’t see too much of him anymore. Georgia has been so worn out from all of her treatments. She’s having practically all of her schooling at home now because she hardly has the energy to walk outside. Life is tough, but we’re making it work. You’ve been more help then you could ever imagine,” she said.

There it is again. “I’m glad I can help. Are you sure you can handle everything on your own?”

I heard her sigh. “Your father and I have it under control, I promise. You just worry about work and school, okay?”

“Alright.”

“I have to go right now, I’m sorry. Love you,” she said.

“Love you too, Mom. Bye,” the call dropped.

The taxi pulled up in front of the studio. I thanked and paid the driver, then entered the always empty yoga studio. As always, Britt was waiting for me when I walked into the base.

“You really couldn’t give me a day off,” I said pointedly.

She brushed off my anger and turned to a monitor, “On any other day, yes, but since Lux is out and I have a mountain of work, I need an assistant. Right now, you’re the best thing I have.”

I walked over to one of the many computers, looking at the profile that had just popped upon screen. There was a picture of a man, in his late forties wearing a business suit. I bit my lip as the screen scrolled through information. This was the man that I’d have to help Britt kill. I forced myself to read about him.

The target’s name was Albert Lysser. He was a 49 year old who was born in Sweden. When he was twenty five, he moved to America to start a clothing business. His company was an instant success, and he soon had chains all around the country. He turned to the Underground to gain his business economic strength. Albert was quick to bend to the habits of the Underground, having a team of highly trained assassins formed within three years of joining it. At the age of 27, he married and had a daughter three years later. This man was more than some stone cold CEO. He was a man who had followed the American Dream. He was a husband and a father.