Flips and Kisses

I was 5'1, had blond hair and brown eyes. I was petite but strong. I was an elite tumbler. An all star cheerleader. I was a daughter of a successful businessman. When my father decided to move across the country to North Carolina, with his business, from our home in California, I didn't believe him. He had to be kidding. We had it perfect here, or so I thought. Apparently, we weren't as financially healthy as I thought. So we ended up moving to a small town in North Carolina. The first thing my mom did was sign me up for school and find the number for the cheerleading coach. I was ease dropping on the conversation.

    "Hello, this is Marilyn Stephenson, myself, my husband and my daughter have just moved here and I was wondering if it would be to late for my daughter to try out. She's only in eighth grade but she is an elite level 9 gymnast and has cheered since she was six," I mom said into her blackberry. "Thank you so much. What time would you like to see her? Oh you have a practice today and you would like to see her there?" My mom said eyeballing me. "Thank you so much!" She said and hung up her phone. I squealed. "She wants to see you today! In 2 hours! You are to show up at there practice at the high school we passed on the way here. They're having a stunting clinic today and she has to have you there and ready an hour before practice starts so you better hurry and change and stretch out," she said passing me. I was in shock. I didn't expect to do anything else that day besides ride in the plane and shop online for stuff for my room. I ran upstairs and put on a pair of black shorts with cheerleader on the but of them and then pulled on a bright pink t-shirt with CHEERLEADER written on it in zebra striped letters and then tied it in a pony tail in the back. Then I got out my old cheerleading shoes and some socks. I grabbed vitamin water from the refrigerator and a granola bar. "Mom let's go!" I yelled. "Ok ok, were leaving!" She said getting keys to the rental car we would be driving.

       We got to the gym and mom parked the car. "Ok honey, I have to tell you something," Mom said. "What?!" I said. "Well you know how you cheered for middle school right? You're trying out for varsity. When I was "on the phone" I wasn't really talking to anyone. I talked to the coaches last night and the varsity coach said you had to cheer for her. The middle school coach agreed too. She said your talent would be wasted if you cheered for middle because they aren't that good," she explained. "Oh my God mom, are you serious?!?" "Yes darling, and one more thing," she said shyly. "Oh God mom please tell me I'm going to fly, I could not base," I said nearly crying. "No honey, you don't have to worry about that at all. It's that it's a co-ed squad." "What?!? How many guys??" I said nervously. "Umm, about maybe, half the squad. But the good thing is they have went to state every year and WON!" "I don't care mom, I cant go in there with a bunch of high school kids!" "Honey, you're doing this and I mean it. Now go! You need to hang out with some kids a little older than you than younger than you! Love you!" She said and pushed me out the car door and drove away.