The First Reaping

When I awoke, it was to the familiar scent of hot tea. Eyelashes fluttering, I sat up and looked around sleepily, stretching with a soft moan. I covered up a yawn and picked up the note beside the teacup. Sinking back down into the multitudes of pillows and blankets, I unfolded it and began to read. Adelina, my dearest Frauke, it began, I hope you slept with the sweetest of dreams, fit only for a beauteous queen such as yourself.

I found myself blushing at the penned script, and it took me a moment before I could go on. The time I left this note at is 4;30in the afternoon. However, you may sleep as long as you need. When you’ve awoken, simply ring the bell on the nightstand. It will call one of us to come and get you. The tea is just how you like it; black with three sugars and cream. Much affection, Slender.

I smiled and set the note down, then sipped from the teacup. Slender was right, it was exactly the temperature and taste I loved. The little timepiece from the drawer of the nightstand was beside the note, and I noticed it read the time of 5:19. With another yawn, I threw the bedclothes off of my body and swung myself out of bed.

Sleepily, I balanced drinking my tea, sheathing my dagger and putting my boots on, and when I was finally ready, I followed Slender’s directions and rang the little bell. Seconds after the tinkling noise faded away, the door behind me clicked open and in walked Ichor. She smiled at me and bustled over, taking my arm in her hands and leading me out of the room.

“Now, I know you’re nervous for your first Reaping, but we all were, and you’re a smart girl. You’ll do just fine.” Ichor assured me as we walked, my half-empty teacup in my free hand.

“Thank you.” I said sincerely, following her as she hurried us through the many winding corridors of Slender’s castle.

We quickly reached what appeared to be the main doors of the castle. I briefly recognized the location from earlier that day, but Ichor breezed through the doors with me before I could think too deeply on it. Outside, standing in a semi-circle with Slender at the head, were Jack, Mindy, Rake, Doc, Nell, and Archangel. I smiled shyly and did a little wave.

Giggling, the two kids waved back enthusiastically. Nell and Archangel saluted me, standing in a militant sort of stance. Doc smiled at me, and Rake grinned. Slender kneeled before me and said, /Good evening, Frauke…/

“Good evening, Slender.” I replied, awkwardly handing Ichor my teacup.

/The time has come for you to experience your first Reaping. Now, as I’m sure Ichor already told you, it’s perfectly fine for you to be nervous. Now, take your dagger./ Slender instructed, standing by my side as I complied. /Raise it above your head, clear your mind, and pierce it through the air before you./

I did so, holding the knife with shaky hands. The last time I had held a blade, I had killed myself. The thought was peculiar, but with it, I managed to clear my mind as told. Then, taking a deep breath, I drove the knife forward and down.

Nothing happened.

I growled softly, then repeated the action. A seam seemed to open in the air, but it wasn’t wide enough to go through. /Think of a thought that evicts a strong emotion./ Slender suggested.

I swallowed. They hated you. At school. They were terrible. Slut, skank, bitch, whore, worthless, ugly, fat, piece of shit… The list of names my peers had called me went on. Why don’t you go kill yourself? No one would miss you. I bet mum doesn’t miss you. You had no friends. You were failing school. They’re glad you’re gone-

With an almost inhuman snarl, I curled my fingers tightly around the hilt of the dagger and tore it through the air. The fabric of space ripped, and warm air spilled out around Slender and I. /Very good, Frauke. Now, take my hand./

I did so, Slender’s fingers contrasting the air. The other Fears smiled and waved, approvingly. Ichor wiped her eyes motherly, beaming at me. Slender gently stroked my hand, then stepped through the light, pulling me with him.