𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

How can I be 'normal'?

A question that's probably going to stay unanswered.

I'm Jayden Crimson, an average- let's say an unusual 17 year old. This sounds odd, but I can read minds.

I know that's impossible and crazy, right?

Sike! It's either life is a joke or I'm a joke to you.

How did I find out, you ask?

I can't quite remember how old I was, but I heard my dad speak without parting his lips open. It was strange.

He was reading the newspaper with his eyes squinted.

'The hell is wrong with these people?!'

I thought he was talking to me, so I replied. "What the hell is wrong with what people?"

He stared shocked at me and again I read his mind.

'Did I just say that out loud?! Catherine is going to kill me, if she heard him curse!'

"Don't worry, daddy. I'm not going to curse."

You can imagine how the rest turned out, after I've exposed myself. The only person who doesn't mind me for being ill is my brother Alex. I had to visit several therapists since my parents believed that I was mentally ill. I even got examined by diverse brain scaners such as Computerized axial Tomography (CAT), Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and Positron emission Tomography (PET), just to detect if I have an psychiatric disorder. The doctors didn't find anything wrong with me. Even after I was told to read their minds, it wasn't helpful. My parents decide to raise me as a normal child, despite my weird self.

Before you start coming at me with:

'What's wrong with that? You're blessed and have advantages in life!'

Well, yeah I do have some perks with that. Such as writing down the answers during exams, when a teacher thinks about it or finding out my crush's desire. I also admit, it's funny reading people's minds sometimes.

Human beings are funny creatures.

But a big disadvantage is to never and I repeat never going to fit in anywhere. I'm in my teenage years, where people should be enjoying themselves and making tons of friends! Because of my status, I never succeed in that.

I'm known as Jayden 'The Freak' Crimson.

You might be wondering, how that happened?

It was when I was 5 years old in nursery school. The first stage to make some friends, right? Well I already messed that up.

We had this 'introduce- yourself' circle formed on the floor. I thought I could atleast impress the children that day, if I told them my secret. I was just a child myself and of course, I was naive.

"So, what's your speciality?" My teacher asked with a smile on her face.

'He looks plain. I wonder, what he's going to say.'

I hesitated to reply at first, but told her anyways. "I can read minds."

Everyone stared at me in a way I never thought was possible. They might have been silent, yet the voices in their heads still talked to me.

'No way!'

'What a creep!'

'Is he serious right now?!'

That's when I realised that it would've been better if I kept my mouth shut.

"Jayden Crimson has a mental disorder!"

"He's a freak!"

"A freak!"

And that's how I practically messed up my whole life. I'm now labelled as Jayden 'The Freak' Crimson.

Nobody wants to talk or look at me. They fear me.

Atleast that's what I thought. I wasn't clearly ignored, but got criticised most of the time.

Boys at my age would send me  provoking grins and yell out loud for the whole world to hear: "What's up, freak? Ready to destroy our privacy again?"

They have a right to do so since I shouldn't be reading their minds. Yet I can't control it. It just happens.

Nowadays, all they think about are girls, football, games and their sexual desires. Things that don't really interest me.

Don't get me started with the girls. I don't think I'd stand a chance with my looks anyways, so why should I worry about my name? I would get dumped even without it.

Declan Reeve, aka Mr. Perfect, still bullies me until today. You see, Hopestine is a really small city and everyone knows one another here.

Along with Colton Gunn, the athlete, and Tate Dalton, the badass, they chase me too.

I don't know why, but telling them on a teacher was never an option for me. They'd threat me if I would do so and at some point I grew to learn that even if I did so, I don't think the teachers would have helped me.

They'd side Declan Reeve, since he's everyone's favourite.

Hunter Perry is the only friend I have. He's been stuck with me since the first day of nursery school. I got laughed on and became a victim of bully. Yet, this goofball smiled at me. "You can read minds?! That's cool!"

He forced me to read his mind, which was unexpected. 'Are you reading it right now? Tell me! I'm Hunter by the way. And 1 year older older you. And cooler.'

"Yes, I am." I answered and he grinned wider. "I'm Jayden."

He was impressed. So was I. We started hanging out.