Chapter 3 The Kill

Sometimes I wonder if Kyle hadn’t died, whether or not I would be an assassin today. Probably not, anyway I had two strategies in mind for Nina Cook sadly, both ended with her demise.  I could attack her at her work during the day, which would be full of people; or her home, at night, in a crime patrol neighborhood. I decided to attack her at work. I am not such a coward that I need a blanket of darkness to cover me. Although performing my assassination during the day in a crowded place would be hard, but it gave me better operating positions and I liked to look at it as a game. Sick, I know.

I packed my brand new cat eye sniper with scope and my iPod, along with C-4 and water. Usually, I had to scout the place and stalk my target to understand her or his habits in order to know when to attack. Don had already sent another operative to do the time consuming part, now it was left to me to handle the dirty work. Don must really be worried about Nina selling government weapons to enemy countries because he took action fairly quick. I wore jeans and a t-shirt under my hoodie. I was pretty plain Jane today. I grabbed my disposable backpack and cell phone with my headset piece.

 I checked my surroundings to make sure some outstanding citizen wasn’t lurking around ready to compromise my mission. I arrived at my sniper location, an old abandoned whore house, not wanting to be seen I hurried through the back door, up the stairs, out to the roof. It was right across from a skyscraper, where millions of accountants worked. I just needed to locate one. I set my sniper and scope to the appropriate degrees. (taking in account distance and wind speed) I plugged in my headset and connected to my “on star voice” operative telling me if I needed to halt my mission, otherwise it was silent.

“Target is approaching 3 degrees south of northeast window of the building. Deliver two shots, one to the head and the other to the chest.” My ‘on star voice’ sounded off emotionlessly.

 Here goes everything. I follow her in my sight. She seems like any other accountant in the city. They all have a slight hint of arrogance about them. Nina is dressed in a pink business suit. I despise all forms of pink, except fuchsia and raspberry. She has heels to make her seem barely 5’. Her hair is coiled in a tight bun and her glasses pushed down her crooked nose. She wears heavy makeup and seems to walk with a limp. Tsk tsk. It’s her fault she has to die. I learned a long time ago that, Benedict Arnolds come in all forms. 3………………2………………………1………………….time is up!!!!!!!!!!! Pop! Pop! Nina Cook is no longer. “Target has been terminated”, I speak into the headset. I have to hurry and destroy the evidence of my presence and leave the roof quickly. I pack up my sniper and scope and fused my C-4 ready to go off. I stuff it into my pack and throw in the cell phone that I used to contact “on star”.  I run down the stairs and to my car, leaving behind the bomb to explode in 5 minutes. I can already hear the cops in the distance. As I’m driving, something catches my attention, something flashy. It looks oddly like a watch, but I can’t look back I must leave to avoid being labeled as a suspect.

 That night I lay awake thinking about the flashy object. If it was a watch, then it had to belong to someone’s hand. An operative can NEVER risk exposing themselves. I badly wanted to go back to the building to check my surroundings. There was no way I could have been so careless. Nobody was there; I circled the block three times. The area was probably crawling with cops and feds trying to figure out if the bombing and shooting were connected. It’s probably nothing, but I still can’t sleep because of it.

  I awoke the next morning at 5:07 a.m. sharp, always. After breakfast, I went downstairs to work out in the gym. Half way through my workout Don calls, which is extremely unusual. My thoughts quickly went to the watch I thought I saw or the movie where the sniper thought they had eliminated their target, but missed and instead hit the bullet proof glass instead; that movie turns out to be really good because the sniper shot the target it was a double. I answered and stood there and listened to what seemed hours.

I hung up the phone. I had a new assignment. One that would require lots of planning.