Chapter 15: Test 11

I woke up early before the Sun rose to get a spot in the next Test. As I passed Airen's room, I noticed his door was shut and no light shone from the cracks around the door. A slight disappointment coursed through me as I realized Airen’s answer. Quickly, I changed into the old body suit I had kept from the beginning of the Tests and left.

 The streets were nearly empty. Not many people roamed at this time unless they were returning from their night job and sleep for the day or they were heading to the next Testing arena. I found people of all ages wearing their own body suit and walking at a quick pace to arrive earlier than someone else. I tried doing the same, but by the time I reached the admissions booth, the line had stretched a block or two. It didn’t hurt to wait, but I didn’t want to be part of the cut off group since, after all, they don’t accept new Test Takers until the next week.

 “Pst! Amelia!” Someone called out.

 I turned my head in all directions, wondering where it came from. Before I could even hear the voice again, my eyes met with a tall figure with brown hair. I stood still, trying to process this strange figure standing in line, and soon that shock turned to happiness. “Airen!”

 He grinned his usual cheeky grin and waved me over.

 I was hesitant, but he wasn’t too far in front of me. However, I felt cold glares behind me as I skipped a few people. “I thought-” I could finish my sentence when he shook his head.

 “I don’t think I would forgive myself if I let you go out there alone.”

 It wasn’t unusual for Airen to say heartfelt phrases, but they were rare, and when he says them, he really meant it. “Do you think we’ll get a spot?”

 “I believe so. Not everyone would pass Test 11, but let’s just hope they’ll take both of us.”

 I nodded my head and stared straight ahead. Pass the admissions booth was the place Airen, Nerie, Nina, Rin, and I last saw each other as a group. I wondered where they were now. Were they able to succeed? Did they fail? Were they still taking the Test? Would things have been different if I was able to save Kai?

 Time moved slow as I watched the Sun slowly rising as more and more people lined up behind us. For each minute passed, we took one step until we finally reached the booth. The lady took Airen first and as I stood behind him, I could hear their conversation.

 “Name?”

 “Airen Grant.”

 She typed his name onto the computer and eyed him through her thick glasses. “Are you aware of the entrance rules in this next Test?”

 He shook his head.

 The woman rolled her eyes and sighed. In a monotone voice, she explained, “In this Test, you are required to register as a pair. If you do not have someone, then we will assign you one at random. You are not allowed to bring anything from the City into the Test no matter what it is and there will be no breaks until after Test 13.”

 Airen simply nodded and pointed towards me. “I’m going to register with her then. She’s my partner.”

 Her eyes shifted towards me. “Name?”

 “Amelia.” I never knew my last name unless I could use Ray’s. I opened my mouth to say it, but the woman spoke.

 “Alright you two. Head inside and you will be lead to the Testing Room by an E.W.”

 We followed her instructions and stepped inside the Station where other Test Takers were. A group of four stared at me for a moment before they were led across the station into a hidden door.