Day 48: Deal

To say she's speechless would be an understatement.

Even when the guards have stabbed their weapons to her throat, locking her in place, Leda's overwhelmed with trepidation. She's not in sound condition to accept the situation this has spiralled into, but her animosity hasn't wavered the slightest.

"You're the prince of Edaps?" She grasps at the dull weapon. Taking her action as one of rebuttal, the guards shove her back with considerable force. She bites her lip, though her glare hasn't fallen. His earlier actions are clear in her mind. "And yet you're fine with treating your citizens the way you did?"

         "I should be asking you why you care so much," Ronan III replies. "The way I've decided to behave towards my citizens, their deaths and sufferings—it shouldn't concern an outsider like you."

         Her nails dig into her fisted palms hard enough to draw blood. "Where's the king?"

         "And why must I allow you outsiders the right to step foot anywhere near my father?" Ronan's voice has escalated to a condescending snort. "You've both ruined my swell mood and refused my kindness. Halt your pointless pleas and leave my sight at once."

        He twists on his boots, beckoning to the guards.

        "Escort them out of the capital."

        Leda can only produce a wry laugh as a guard wrenches her wrist, propelling her backward. Some seize an apprehensive Orian as well. Ronan spins around at that and treads onwards with the arrogant flutter of his cape.

So this man is a member of the royal family—someone with the ability to aid all those wailing citizens outside. And yet he's refused, and continues to refuse to do so? Not to mention his detached manner of speech—as if this all has nothing to do with him.

         "And you call yourself a prince?" Leda spits.

        Ronan halts in his tracks, his countenance crinkling as he faces her for the second time.

         "Your attitude towards His Highness is completely unacceptable!" a guard bellows in her ear.

He rams her body to the ground. Her chin knocks painfully against the asphalt, rocks scratching her bare skin.

         A blade is positioned expertly at her neck, the sharp edge prickling and producing a thin line of blood.

"We will slit your throat if you dare keep it up!" another warns.

         A third oozes menace as well. "An outsider like you has no idea how hard the third prince works for the kingdom of Edaps! How tirelessly he dedicates himself to lessen the hardships of the citizens—" 

         "Enough!" Ronan's shout quiets the riled up sentinels at once. "I am exhausted from my journey," he says again, softer this time. "As I'd like to spend the rest of tonight peacefully in my headquarters, I will be leaving here."

"No way! It's a Mond!"

        "Wow, he has wolf ears! It's a wolf-Mond! That's so cool!"

        The childish giggles that rip into the air ease the tension as swiftly as a zap of lightning. All eyes befall Orian who, amidst being detained by two guards, is currently having his tail tugged at by two toddlers. Both have matching grins painting their faces, but unlike everyone else Leda has seen, these children are not wearing any means of cloaks or long sleeves.

        They're entirely exposed.

        Their grotesque, scratched up arms and legs; jagged and flaky skin carving into their cheeks to the point of revealing pink flesh. The black dots she's spotted on every citizen outside are ten times more concentrated on these kids. Not to mention a multitude more painful.