𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟑. the big bad wolf.

THE BIG BAD WOLF.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°•        CHAPTER THREE        •°

"        GET AWAY FROM MY BROTHER
YOU PIECE OF SHIT!       "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

FAMILY COULD MAJORLY SUCK. Don't get Elijah wrong, he loves both Nevaeh and Tobia Wolfhart more than anything in this life and there is nothing he wouldn't sacrifice for them. He would jump in the line of fire for both of them. But sometimes, some days, his small family could really get on his nerves. Elijah treasures his baby sister and happily beat the hell out of the boy who got her hooked on drugs. But the drugs were what he had an issue with. He also appreciates every little thing their father does for them, but the endless work he did was the other problem. They were faults. Everyone had them, even Elijah. He was aware his temper and stubbornness were what got on their nerves. But he didn't care. The only thing he cared about was when he saw Nevaeh on the floor.

And he used to feel the same about Steve Harrington. Steve had his faults. And, well, those faults grew when he rose by dragging Elijah down. He could keep up the lie to everyone around him that he didn't give a shit anymore about that Harrington boy, but deep down, the child in him missed his long term best friend more than anything in this world. But those were faults that couldn't be fixed. So it was easier for Elijah to pretend he didn't give a damn anymore, besides, he valued his sister's wellbeing more than his own.

He prioritized his father's, too, as his eyes glaze over Tobia in a close study. He looks exhausted. Elijah feels a twinge of sadness at the sight of his shoulders hunched, dark bags under his eyes so deep they look sunken into his skull, his fingers anxiously tapping over the kitchen's table, possibly because of the amount of coffee he drinks to keep himself awake. Elijah wishes he could drag his father to bed and force him to sleep, but the stubbornness in their family started with Tobia Wolfhart. He could never force him to do something, even if it was the right thing to do. He was tired too, after all, having to carry his family like this. He was just a kid.

The two Wolfhart men jerk in surprise when they hear Nevaeh make her way to them. Elijah hates he knows the storm coming as soon as he looks at her. She looks a little more stable, so that brings him some ease, but he knows it's only going to be ruined soon. Because Tobia was not here, missing extra time at work, for fun. Nothing about this was funny. Elijah actually thought walking through Hell would have been easier.

Part of Elijah felt awful for sharing with their father what happened after Nevaeh clutched at him and begged him not to do so. But then he knew he had to. Not telling Tobia wasn't even an option for him to consider. This was something serious, something scary, and he'd be an accomplice if anything happened to Nevaeh by keeping it to himself. That guilt would lead to Elijah never being able to forgive himself, but it didn't stop the very same emotion course through him as soon as he sees her. Because she knows.