Chapter 2

The teacher doesn't even notice Seto. He fills his water bottle and returns to the arena to continue making notes during the duels. However, he forgot the most important thing - his notebook. It remains sitting on the edge of the water fountain. Seto stares at it. What to do? There's no way that teacher is Joey - his build is smaller and less defined, and his hair's dark. Also, Joey didn't wear glasses.

Seto continues staring at the notebook.

His options are - chase after the teacher, who is very unlikely Joey or steal the notebook as a clue to figuring out once and for all whether he is or not. It never occurs to Seto to leave it here and pretend he's never seen it. He's involved now, and he's involved all the way. It's a strangely familiar feeling.

His thoughts escape his control. A pause is necessary to make the decision to snatch up the notebook and run back upstairs. It's only when he reaches the top that the burning inside of his mouth reminds him he didn't take the drink he went down for.

He doesn't return to the office to observe the remainder of the duels. Instead, he retreats to his dorm room to analyse the teacher's notebook for clues.

The writing is eerily similar to Joey's, the wording as well. Especially the strange way he used to put a circle above his 'i's rather than a dot. The blonde was always so self-conscious about his messy handwriting that he made a point to write slowly and carefully. Trust him to keep up those habits even in his private notes.

Seto finds himself smiling dreamily, memories of Joey popping up in front of his eyes. Only the good ones, the ones his writing makes Seto remember. The sun fades and he looks out his window, realising that it's already evening. He should return this, but to where? The staff room, he decides. He leaves his dorm, using his pass to open the mechanical doors on the way. It should be empty now that classes have long finished and the teachers have returned to their dorms. There's no need to be careful.

*

"Where is it... where is it?!"

He looks under the table for the sixth time, having already emptied the cupboards and storage boxes which are now scattered across the carpet. Katsuya started to panic hours ago, and he's now shaking frenetically. It shouldn't be such a big deal that he lost his notebook, but he was concentrating so much on making notes of the duels that he forgot what he wrote down the second he wrote it. He probably can't remember ten consecutive seconds of any duel.

He freezes when the light comes on, frozen in time, too terrified to turn and face whoever caught him red-handed. Despite having been a teacher for years now, being in the staff room alone and at night feels forbidden. He hears something fall to the ground and frowns, turning to see who it is.

Katsuya's jaw drops open. "Seto?"

The CEO stands in the doorway, just as frozen in shock as Katsuya. At his feet is a notebook, having fallen open on the recent notes page.

"I found... I was just returning..."

Katsuya hides his face in his hands. He never wanted this to happen, does Seto recognise him? "I... uh..." He clears his throat. He considers putting on a voice, but that'd be even more embarrassing if Seto already figured out who he is.

Seto offers an uncomfortable smile. "Can I ask you... Katsuya Jonouchi isn't it?"

Katsuya manages a nod. "Yeah, you're Seto Kaiba,"

He nods, reaching up to push away his hair, staring determinedly at Jonouchi's face. "I'll leave if you want me to,"

"Wait, you will?" he frowns. He almost agrees, before relenting with a sigh. "I remember how you take your coffee. Maybe we should talk about some things,"