43- Turning Tables

A whole week passes in complete monotony. Wake up, shower, eat, hang out with my friends, eat, read my book and maybe hang out with my friends some more, eat, talk on the phone with my dad or Penn, read, hang out, and then it’s bed time. I’m used to the monotonous life of Bernard’s now though, so it doesn’t feel so suffocating anymore. I guess Renée and Mia make it feel less monotonous now that they’re both back.

Desiree hasn’t been hanging around very much anymore because the day after the hockey game, that Sunday, Quinn had pulled Desiree aside and asked her if she wanted to be her second in command. Renée came up with the theory that Quinn is getting released before the Halloween party so she’s starting to train Desiree to be her replacement and I think I’m backing up that theory because Quinn seems pretty independent to randomly want a sidekick. However, Des just jumped at the opportunity of course so she’s always with Quinn now, learning the ropes of how to be the party committee leader person.

Other than the snide glances from Shayla and her pals, including Gregory, and the occasional greeting from Katie as she passes by, Renée and Mia are really the only other patients that I associate with, which I like because I don’t really enjoy socializing that much so only having two close friends is ideal for me.

“So, I’m convinced that we have enough stars now,” Renée says on Sunday afternoon as we’re finishing up our party committee time. “Do you think that we can call it quits now?”

I just shrug. We had two clear plastic vases full of these little colorful paper stars but I’m not sure if that’s enough or not. Looking up at Mia and Katie, neither one of them knew either.

“She didn’t give us a quota or anything,” Mia says before she looks around the room and finds Quinn, being shadowed by Desiree on her heels, and then waves them over.

“You guys are doing awesome,” Quinn assures us with a grin, eyeing the two vases full of the stars.

“Thanks. We were actually wondering if this was enough. We’re not sure how much you want us to make,” Renée explains.

“Hm. What do you think Desiree?” Quinn asks, turning to Desiree, who is enthusiastically waving to Mia, as if this is a test that Desiree should have to pass.

She stops waving to Mia as she stares at the vases and scrunches up her nose to think. “Well, I think we should have one vase on the food table, one on the craft table, and then a bunch of little bowls of them on the tables. So I think one more vase full should be able to fill a bunch of little bowls. So one more vase should be good.”

Quinn is thinking beside her and then slowly nods. “I think that’s an awesome idea. Do you guys think that you can conjure up one more vase full?”

“Of course,” I assure her although I was really looking forward to being done with these freaking stars.

“Great! You guys are doing an awesome job,” She grins at us before she turns and walks away with Desiree quickly following behind her, analyzing every single one of Quinn’s moves.

“These people better love these stupid stars,” Katie mumbles as we all grab a piece of paper from the stack of small squares and start writing some more messages. We don’t need the paper with the list of messages anymore because of how many we’ve already written, we’ve memorized them all. Although, most of mine aren’t from the list, I’m making most of mine up by now and I’m sure everybody else is doing the same.

“They will,” Renée assures her hopefully. “It’s a cute idea, I think they’ll be a big hit.”

“Niles said that he liked it,” I add as if that’s going to influence their confidence at all. “I mean, he could have said that just to make me feel better about them but I gave him one and he said that he thought it was a cool idea.”