12: The Truths Exposed - Part I - Liam

~Three Years Earlier~

     I swore I would never forget that day. It was the twenty-third of May, three years ago. It was freshman year, out at the Livingston High football field. It was at the end of the school year, and we were just finishing up securing our spots for the team next year. Kyle was the King of Livingston back then, because he was the quarterback of our junior varsity team. With him, we never lost a game. Anyways, Kyle, Evan, and I were in the locker rooms after showering, and the second most popular guy in school, the JV’s wide receiver, senior Gary Washington and his band of idiots, began teasing us as always.

     “What do you want, Gary,” Evan asked with that same fierceness in his voice he has today.

     Don’t get me wrong, Gary was very intimidating, but only Evan had the courage to stand up to him to the point of fighting him. He was almost six-feet-tall, ebony skin, dark brown eyes, jet black hair, bulging biceps; the epitome of big and scary.

     “You faggots got in my way today,” he scolded, towering over us. Back in those days, I was the quiet one. The shy guy who followed in the rear. Kyle and Evan were the leaders, standing up to everyone and everything.

     Evan stood up and began sizing up Gary, even though he was considerably shorter than the senior and his goons, “What are you going to do about it?”

     “Evan,” I called out, pulling him back by his shoulder. I turned to Gary and smiled shyly, “Sorry! Coach told us to pay no mind to the seniors, we didn’t mean to-“

     “Shut up, queer,” one of his friends shouted, causing me to cower back and sit back down on the wooden bench. That’s when Kyle shot up and stormed over to the trio.

     “Hey! How about you dicks fuck off and go jerk each other off, yeah? We can’t help it if we play the game better than you.”

     Gary stepped toe-to-toe with Kyle and beamed down at him. It was starting to heat up in the locker room, and all of the guys watched. The senior male was ready to fight, alongside his goonies. Kyle geared up too, and Evan stood behind him ready. I hated where this was going, so I had to literally pry Kyle away from Gary.

     “Guys, calm down! Listen, it’s the last practice of the school year. We get out of school next week for Summer Break. We don’t need to have any fights now!”

     “Your little boyfriend is right. Step down before you get beat down,” the third had chimed in.

     Evan growled in response and was ready to pounce, “You have one. More. TIME! To crack a gay joke before I shove all of your asses into Funky Fred’s locker,” Funky Fred was the biggest, sweatiest guy on the football team and notorious for having a horrible odor.

     “Calm down, Simms. Let’s just finish up here, and then head over to my house,” we had agreed to go to Kyle’s house after practice that day because we were going to discuss our plans for the summer.

     But for some reason, I had a feeling Kyle announced our plans for more than just confirmation. I caught a glimpse of Gary’s face lighting up, before he walked off with his friends. Evan just stood there, glaring holes in their spines.

     “Dicks.”

     After finishing up at school, we were escorted to Kyle’s house via a car sent for us. Back then, Kyle was the richest person at Livingston since his Mom was a marine biologist and his Dad was a stockbroker. My parents were just starting to get their careers off the ground. He lived in awhite, three-story whatchamacallit house that looked like a miniature White House.