14

After I picked Brian up from work, I spent the next day making another couple batches of chocolate chip cookies for the Nazarians.  Brian ate some too, which seemed to put him in a better-than-usual mood.

"You got plans tonight?" He asked me, and I felt my face heat up a bit, grateful that my back was to him as I stirred the dough on the kitchen counter.

"Um...." I tried really hard to sound nonchalant.  "So the friend with the concussion?  Asked me to come over again.  Apparently it's really boring having a concussion...."

"That's nice of you," Brian said through a mouth full of cookie.  "I can drive you and pick you up if you want.  Just let me know the times.  I'm going out for dinner with some friends.  Cool?"

"Yeah!" I smiled at my spoon, and sighed with relief when Brian excused himself to catch some sleep, without any further questioning.

Layla texted me at some point:  "Yo Mary.  Party at my place tonight.  Don't come before 8."

I rolled my eyes and ignored it.

I checked in on Rubi to see if there was any update with her mom.  Apparently the infection was under control, and she'd be coming home in a day or two.

Before long I found myself back on Noah's porch, again being greeted by an incredibly enthusiastic Josh.

Josh guided me by the hand to the kitchen, adjacent to the beautiful family room where Noah had apparently relocated to.  Once again, his pretty mom greeted me warmly.  "Molly!  How nice to see you again!"  She then turned her attention to Josh.  "Let's let Noah visit with his guests.  Come on, Josh."

"Bye Molly!" He hugged me, and followed his mother through a door to some other area in their large home.

Once again, I was not the only visitor at Noah's house.  My homemade cookies were still warm.  Layla, however, had brought an entire cookie bouquet that she had bought from one of those fancy boutiques.  Balloons were attached and the cookies spelled out 'G-E-T W-E-L-L N-O-A-H'.

"Mary!" She beamed at me.  "So sweet of you to stop by to see Noah before my party!"

"Oh, I don't know if I can come...." I stammered.  "I just came by to.....pluck Noah's nose hairs for him....."

Noah laughed.  Layla made a face.  "Eeeeew!  Yeah, right.  Come on, his mom doesn't even want us here because he needs to rest.  I want to introduce you to all my friends. Mary, you know you'll have more fun with me than with the Invalid over there!"

I thought fast; at least.....I thought I did......"Layla, I would love to.  How bout some other time?  Um.....my boyfriend's picking me up from HERE later, and...."

"From Noah's house?" She gasped, and I saw a glimmer of admiration in her eyes.  "Damn, girl.  You do know how to play the game!  I definitely want you to meet some people tonight.  You can really make Ryan jealous!  Not sure Mr. Brain Damage here is quite going to do the trick, right?"

"Nice, Layla," Noah grumbled from his place on the couch.  I bit my lip and looked at him uncomfortably, but he was scowling at the tv.

"Noah, tell her she should socialize!  Get to know our crowd.  What's your bedtime tonight, like 9:15?"

"Which is exactly when I told Ryan to pick me up."  I piped up.  "Here.  And..... he doesn't have a cell phone, so I can't text him and tell him I'll be at your place....."

"Lucky for you, I live virtually next door.  Which is why you're coming with me.  You'll be back before you turn into a pumpkin and Prince Charming comes to rescue you here, I promise!  Noah!" She whined.  "Tell her!"